Spatial Indexing

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Spatial Indexing

• Steve, I erased my response because it did not correctly reflect what I meant.

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• Alvin,

First, you are welcome to submit your own question. It's harder than it looks and this seems to be a straightforward question.

Second, a primary key does not include a clustered index. They are not related in any way. A primary key can be a clustered index, but it can also be a non clustered index. The reverse is true as well.

Clustered or nonclustered indexes are determined for performance reasons. These are physical constructs that determine how the index is structured.

A primary key is a logical construct, that lets the designer/developer know which column(s) uniquely identify a row. This is implemented in SQL Server with a unique index, but it can be clustered or nonclustered.

• No worries, though we prefer you respond or mark an edit so the rest of the thread makes sense.

We do make mistakes on questions, and I'm certainly willing to listen if you think there is an error. I thought this one was fairly simple and straightforward.

• Steve Jones - Editor (8/22/2008)

No worries, though we prefer you respond or mark an edit so the rest of the thread makes sense.

We do make mistakes on questions, and I'm certainly willing to listen if you think there is an error. I thought this one was fairly simple and straightforward.

I'll post another item later when I have time.

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply