Spatial Concepts

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Spatial Concepts

• fun question. never knew there were so many kinds of latitude

• I didn't either. Started reading on this subject and my head began hurting. Keep Advil nearby.

• Hell...........it took 20 minutes to single out correct answer after googling.

Why are we seeing so many question these days on Spatial Data ? Think this is probably 4th or 5th question in last couple of months, which I think is not used by SQL community (99%) .

SQL DBA.

• I think its fun. Something different to make one think.

• I see no reason not to give a fair degree of latitude to such questions. not everything is T-SQL (gasp... what he said?!?) Why you could say it 'broaden's your horizons', and promotes more than two dimensional thinking.

😛

• I think a question a month isn't a bad thing. Let you learn a bit more in other areas.

• I got it right because the last three answers have capitalized words and the first one does not.

• SQAPro (7/21/2009)

I see no reason not to give a fair degree of latitude to such questions. not everything is T-SQL (gasp... what he said?!?) Why you could say it 'broaden's your horizons', and promotes more than two dimensional thinking.

😛

So I could submit a question about solar flares or harmonics?

• It took google and wikipedia 60 seconds to provide the answer for me.

At first I thought what in the world does this have to do with SQL - then started reading the posts and back to wikipedia to enrich my mind a bit.

I agree 'fun' questions are cool. I would advocate one a week as opposed to one a month. How about Friday to dovetail with the non-sql related editorial ?

RegardsRudy KomacsarSenior Database Administrator"Ave Caesar! - Morituri te salutamus."

• skjoldtc (7/22/2009)

SQAPro (7/21/2009)

I see no reason not to give a fair degree of latitude to such questions. not everything is T-SQL (gasp... what he said?!?) Why you could say it 'broaden's your horizons', and promotes more than two dimensional thinking.

😛

So I could submit a question about solar flares or harmonics?

If you can somehow relate it to how you store, retrieve, or query against data pertaining to such things in SQL, then why not? The first might make for a good example of a table that would need to contain a very interesting variety of data types (spatial, time of occurance, time duration, size (surface area and/or volume), intensity etc.) So who knows, might be an interesting question to be had that involves such things and sheds light on a new area people had not throught about before.

• Hi,

I am really perplexed...can anybody tell me what is the relation of this with SQL? (Though I guessed right and awarded 2 points 😀

• arup_kc (7/23/2009)

Hi,

I am really perplexed...can anybody tell me what is the relation of this with SQL? (Though I guessed right and awarded 2 points 😀

The relation is to the new spatial data-types that were added to SQL Server 2008

http://www.google.com/search?q=sql+server+2008+data+types+spatial

• I liked the question - and the previous spatial questions on QotD. Makes you think back a little bit to geography and geometry - woot!

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• It was an uneducated Guess! 😀

[font="System"]Bhavesh Patel[/font]

http://bhaveshgpatel.wordpress.com/

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply