SP_who/SP_who2 hangs

• I am running Microsoft SQL Server 2005 - 9.00.3200.00 (Intel X86) Microsoft Corporation Standard Edition on Windows 2003 Server (Build 3790: Service Pack 2).

All databases (12) are running in the default instance.

Last week after an upgrade of one of the databases there was a problem running the sp_who or sp_who2 commands. The SP started but never returned any results. After waiting around 10-15 mins I had to restart the SQL service to regain the ability to do anything at all in Management Studio.

At the time this was happening I was also seeing this

Process ID xxx attempted to unlock a resource it does not own: Database: 7

Error 1203. Severity:20, State:1.

Process ID xxx unlocking unowned resource: Database: 7

The sofware vendor for the database concerned have moved the database to a second SQL instance on the same server even though the original database on the default instance has now pbeen proved to be working properly again. (without any intervention it seems to have resolved itself and teh sp's produce instant returns again).

I guess my questions are:

What are the issues of running multiple instances on a single SQL server?

As I can't trace the route of the problem should I risk moving the database back tothe default instance?

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks

• We run about 30 SQL instances on one server for our development teams. We don't have any technical issues. Resource Management can be a task though.

• Take a look at this thread. This could be the issue. you are facing.

-Roy

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply