sp_opencursor error Could not create an acceptable cursor

• I was asked to run the profiler to check for an performance problem in an VB.NET program and found an error the developer had missed:

The following is sent to SQLServer:

declare @p1 int

set @p1=NULL

declare @p3 int

set @p3=229378

declare @p4 int

set @p4=294916

declare @p5 int

set @p5=NULL

exec sp_cursoropen @p1 output,N'SELECT count(distinct(s.sickStartDate)) as nrSickReports, m.employeeID FROM empCalMain m, empCalOlap o, empCalSick s Where m.CompanyID = 1 and m.CompanyID = s.CompanyID and m.companyID = o.companyID and m.relMainID = o.relMainID and m.relSickID = s.relSickID and m.calDate >=''20070301 0:0:0'' and m.calDate 0 and s.totalCalSickDays <=42 Group By m.employeeID',@p3 output,@p4 output,@p5 output

select @p1, @p3, @p4, @p5

This results in the errors:

Could not create an acceptable cursor.

The cursor was not declared.

sp_opencursor is not documented, but I found a good description on:

http://jtds.sourceforge.net/apiCursors.html

@p must be the parameter @ccopt, that are the concurrency options.

294916=0x48004

But 0x8000 does not seem to be documented. So I guessed it had no meaning. I took the flag out and got 0x40004=262148.

With this value for @p4 the statement works in Management studio.

But what should I tell the developer to make the program work?

Is there something that causes this 0x8000 flag?

• Not entirely sure but you should check client side code for any unhandled exception. The "missing cursor declaration" part is a hint that something is not working properly on the sequence of events.

* Noel

• noeld (10/5/2007)

Not entirely sure but you should check client side code for any unhandled exception. The "missing cursor declaration" part is a hint that something is not working properly on the sequence of events.

Noel,

Do you think so?

I was pretty sure that "the missing cursor declaration" was caused by "could not create an acceptable cursor".

And that seemed to be caused by an illegal value for @p4

Anyway, it can do no harm to check for an exception. Thank you for your answer.

Joachim.

• joachim.verhagen (10/5/2007)

noeld (10/5/2007)

Not entirely sure but you should check client side code for any unhandled exception. The "missing cursor declaration" part is a hint that something is not working properly on the sequence of events.

Noel,

Do you think so?

I was pretty sure that "the missing cursor declaration" was caused by "could not create an acceptable cursor".

And that seemed to be caused by an illegal value for @p4

Anyway, it can do no harm to check for an exception. Thank you for your answer.

Joachim.

Joachim,

I am not "sure" that is the case 100%. I would definitely look also for connections that are in a "bad" state. Those paramemters are "system" generated and is highly unlikely the place where the bug is ( although with M$ you never know 😉 )...

* Noel

• Just my two cents.

If you are establishing a cursor to work with data that can not be a set based query / update / ect. And the data set is not going to be large I would not use a cursor in the first place.

If your data set is going to be fairly small use a table variable. It is used by SQL as a table, gives you all the functionality of a cursor however it is easier to establish, you do not tear it down, you insert / update / delete / Ect. to it just as you would a physical table, it stays in memory (only for that transaction) so it is pretty fast.

If you do not know how to create one I will give you a simple example here, write me if you want more detail.

DECLARE @MyTable TABLE

(

Variable1 bigint

,Variable2 varchar(20)

,AnotherVariable decimal (2,10)

)

INSERT INTO @MyTable

(Variable1, Variable2, AnotherVariable)

( You can insert say values that are in declared variables already, and keep returning to it as you have more results)

VALUES (@Variable1, @Variable2, @AnotherVariable)

OR The insert can be records from a physical table like this:

SELECT Variable1, Variable2, AnotherVariable

FROM MyPhysicalTable

Ect...

Hope this helps.

<hr noshade size=1 width=250 color=#BBC8E5> Regards,Jeffery Williams http://www.linkedin.com/in/jwilliamsoh

• There seems nothing strange in the source.

I found something new. If I take the sum out the statement, like below it works fine:

declare @p1 int

set @p1=0

declare @p3 int

set @p3=229378

declare @p4 int

set @p4=294916

declare @p5 int

set @p5=0

exec sp_cursoropen @p1 output,N'SELECT s.sicknessPercentage/ 100 * o.parttimeFactor as nrSickDays FROM empCalMain m, empCalOlap o,

empCalSick s Where m.CompanyID = 1 and m.CompanyID = s.CompanyID and m.companyID = o.companyID and m.relMainID = o.relMainID and m.relSickID

= s.relSickID and m.calDate >=''20050901 0:0:0'' and m.calDate 0 and

s.totalCalSickDays 2',@p3 output,@p4 output,@p5 output

select @p1, @p3, @p4, @p5

Replacing it with avg also goes wrong.

The statement without a cursor works fine in management studio.

Does somebody knows about a problem with aggregate functions in cursors?

• Those parameters mean a dynamic cursor. I changed @p2 that is the scroll-options to static or forward-only and @p4, that is the concurrency option to read-only it works fine. I guess the developer can take it from there. Thanks for all the help.

Joachim.

• joachim.verhagen (10/17/2007)

Those parameters mean a dynamic cursor. I changed @p2 that is the scroll-options to static or forward-only and @p4, that is the concurrency option to read-only it works fine. I guess the developer can take it from there. Thanks for all the help.

Joachim.

Wow, excellent finding. Now I wonder how those parameters were generated incorrectly from VB ...? :hehe:

* Noel

• I understood that that is what the code asked for. Don't blame VB. And I do not really wish to know how many dynamic cursors are used where a fast_forward would suffice. 🙁

• joachim.verhagen (10/17/2007)

I understood that that is what the code asked for. Don't blame VB. And I do not really wish to know how many dynamic cursors are used where a fast_forward would suffice. 🙁

I understand your point but if you find out that the developers can do something better ( like requesting a read-only cursor in their code ) you should help them and it will help you not to see this problem again.

Thanks for sharing,

* Noel

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply