Sp_help for Oracle?

• I'm building a set of SQL Server views that use OPENQUERY to run queries against an Oracle server.

I want to see the metadata of the query from Oracle's perspective.

Is there an equivalent to SQL Server's sp_help for Oracle that I could use?

Gerald Britton, Pluralsight courses

• you can use the two built in procedures which are used specifically for interrogating linked servers.

EXEC sp_tables_ex [OracleLinkedServerName] will get you started, but from there, you need to find a database/schema/table to really dig into:

EXECUTE sp_tables_ex

@table_server ='CPULinked',

@table_schema='BOOFILES',

@table_name = 'DOCTR'

EXECUTE sp_columns_ex

@table_server ='CPULinked',

@table_schema='BOOFILES',

@table_name = 'DOCTR',

@Column_Name ='DRTYPE'

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• Thanks for the tip!

Unfortunately, these queries returned empty result sets for me, though the server, schema and tables/views most certainly exist (and I can query them using OPENQUERY)

Actually what I was looking for was an equivalent to sp_help that I can run on Oracle. So something like:

select * from openquery(oracle, 'exec sp_help ''schema.table''')

replacing 'exec sp_help ''schema.table''' with whatever the equivalent is on Oracle.

• ahh, sorry.

DESC or DESCRIBE TableName will get you some information, not sure how pretty it will be over a linked server, but that's what you want to try.

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• Alas, I don't think you can run DESC over OPENQUERY, since it is not a SQL command. I think you can only do that with the SQLPLUS command.

Could be wrong though!

• Doesn't Oracle have metadata views like ALL_TABLES, ALL_TAB_COLUMNS and ALL_USER_TABLES? Can you query those?

Joie Andrew
    "Since 1982"

• g.britton (5/15/2015)

Alas, I don't think you can run DESC over OPENQUERY, since it is not a SQL command. I think you can only do that with the SQLPLUS command.

Could be wrong though!

You are right.....it is an internal command that only works with SQLPlus.....shame though....

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• have you tried transparent gateway between oracle and sql server?

Cheers,
    John Esraelo

• oracle has equivalent information_schema

Select * from all_tables

select * from all_views

Select * from all_tab_columns

***The first step is always the hardest *******

• This reply has been reported for inappropriate content.

Desc Table1 in Oracle will do this..

Desc --->Describe

Desc:

1. will give definations of each column's name
    2. whether or not null values are allowed for each column
    3. datatype of columns, etc

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply