sp_executesql help

• Hello everyone,

I have a stored proc I am using for an SSRS application. It uses dynamic sql; what it does is pretty self-explanatory. Here's the stored proc:

USE tempdb

GO

IF EXISTS

(

SELECT 1 FROM INFORMATION_SCHEMA.ROUTINES

WHERE ROUTINE_TYPE = 'PROCEDURE'

AND ROUTINE_SCHEMA = 'dbo'

AND ROUTINE_NAME = 'dynamic_ssrs_paramsearch'

)

DROP PROC dbo.dynamic_ssrs_paramsearch;

GO

CREATE PROC dbo.dynamic_ssrs_paramsearch

(

@ParamTable varchar(100),-- include schema, error handling to deal with

@ParamValue varchar(100),

@ParamCaption varchar(100),

@SearchText varchar(100),

@CSFlag bit = 0

)

AS

DECLARE @dsql varchar(1000) = '

WITH searchtext(searchtext) AS (SELECT REPLACE('''+@searchtext+''',''*'',''%''))

SELECT ParamValue = '+@ParamValue+', ParamCaption = '+@ParamCaption+'

FROM '+@ParamTable+' '+'

CROSS APPLY searchtext st

WHERE ('+cast(@CSFlag AS char(1))+' = 0 AND 0 <> PATINDEX(searchtext,'+@ParamCaption+'))

OR ('+cast(@CSFlag AS char(1))+' = 1 AND 0 <> PATINDEX((searchtext COLLATE Latin1_General_BIN),'+@ParamCaption+'))'

EXEC(@dsql);

GO

Here's an example of my telling it to return the database_id and name columns from sys.databases. It will search the name column in sys.databases for records containing this pattern:

*[^a-z]*

Results:

ParamValue ParamCaption

----------- --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

9 AdventureWorks2012

17 temp2

18 temp3

It works exactly how I want it to. Using EXEC like I am, however, I know is very bad and leaves me open to SQL injection. I'm trying to re-write this using sp_execute and having a heck of a time. Perhaps there's other ways to re-write this to prevent SQL injection...

Any help would be very appreciated. Thanks!

Notes:

1. I used sys.databases because everyone has it (easier than putting together sample data)

2. The query that I am generating using dsql can obviously be optimized by that's not really a concern because I'm only dealing with a few thousand records on most of the tables this sproc is intended for.

"I cant stress enough the importance of switching from a sequential files mindset to set-based thinking. After you make the switch, you can spend your time tuning and optimizing your queries instead of maintaining lengthy, poor-performing code."

-- Itzik Ben-Gan 2001

• Quick suggestion (pseudo code)

😎

DECLARE @ParamTable varchar(100) = N''; -- include schema, error handling to deal with

DECLARE @ParamValue varchar(100) = N'';

DECLARE @ParamCaption varchar(100) = N'';

DECLARE @SearchText varchar(100) = N'';

DECLARE @CSFlag bit = 0 ;

DECLARE @params NVARCHAR(MAX) = N'@ParamValue varchar(100),@ParamCaption varchar(100),@SearchText varchar(100)';

DECLARE @dsql varchar(1000) = N'

WITH searchtext(searchtext) AS (SELECT REPLACE(@searchtext,''*'',''%''))

SELECT ParamValue = @ParamValue, ParamCaption = @ParamCaption

FROM '+ /* Your clean string function ;-) */ PATEXCLUDE(@ParamTable,'^[-;]') +N'

WHERE ('+cast(@CSFlag AS char(1))+N' = 0 AND 0 <> PATINDEX(searchtext,@ParamCaption))

OR ('+cast(@CSFlag AS char(1))+N' = 1 AND 0 <> PATINDEX((searchtext COLLATE Latin1_General_BIN),@ParamCaption))';

EXECUTE SP_EXECUTESQL @dsql, @params, @ParamValue,@ParamCaption,@SearchText;

• Last portion of @dsql, why not just

FROM '+ /* Your clean string function */ PATEXCLUDE(@ParamTable,'^[-;]') +N'

WHERE PATINDEX(searchtex '+ case @CSFlag when 1 then 'COLLATE Latin1_General_BIN' else '' end +', @ParamCaption))';

Plus one more execution plan but less unnecessary OR.

• Eirikur Eiriksson (12/4/2014)

Quick suggestion (pseudo code)

😎

DECLARE @ParamTable varchar(100) = N''; -- include schema, error handling to deal with

DECLARE @ParamValue varchar(100) = N'';

DECLARE @ParamCaption varchar(100) = N'';

DECLARE @SearchText varchar(100) = N'';

DECLARE @CSFlag bit = 0 ;

DECLARE @params NVARCHAR(MAX) = N'@ParamValue varchar(100),@ParamCaption varchar(100),@SearchText varchar(100)';

FROM '+ /* Your clean string function ;-) */ PATEXCLUDE(@ParamTable,'^[-;]') +N'

WHERE ('+cast(@CSFlag AS char(1))+N' = 0 AND 0 <> PATINDEX(searchtext,@ParamCaption))

OR ('+cast(@CSFlag AS char(1))+N' = 1 AND 0 <> PATINDEX((searchtext COLLATE Latin1_General_BIN),@ParamCaption))';

EXECUTE SP_EXECUTESQL @dsql, @params, @ParamValue,@ParamCaption,@SearchText;

Thank you Sir! Great work as always.

Sorry for the late reply, I did not get a chance to put test your solution until tonight (I was under the weather this weekend)

"I cant stress enough the importance of switching from a sequential files mindset to set-based thinking. After you make the switch, you can spend your time tuning and optimizing your queries instead of maintaining lengthy, poor-performing code."

-- Itzik Ben-Gan 2001

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply