SP4 Install - How Much Downtime ?

• It's been a while since I did this. Can SP4 be installed while SQL is active, then just do a server restart afterwards for SP4 to take effect ?? Or does SQL need to be stopped during the install ?

EDIT: I installed SP4. It prompts you to stop SQL first, or else a reboot is required. I ran the install without stopping SQL, and just needed to reboot afterwards.

• you can install a service pack with SQL either up or down. If it is down when you start it will be down when the SP completes. You will then have to start SQL and it will run through upgrade script mode.

If it is up when you start the patch will bring SQL up as the last step, running upgrade script mode as it does so.

how long it will take will depend on power of server, no of databases and whether the patch exe is local or across a network, but about 10-15 mins.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

• I know you've done this now, funnily enough I was doing service packs for various versions of SQL on the weekend. Worth noting that in SQL 2008r2 you get no warning or prompt to stop the main sql service, it just stops while you are applying the sp!

One to watch out for if you need to service pack any newer versions than 2005!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply