SP3 installation

• Can i directly install SP3 on SQL 2005 or do i have to install SP1 and SP2 also before installing SP3 ?

• Did you get an error message when trying to install sp3?

What about what is recommended via microsoft updates.

Also what did the documentation say when downloading sp3 about the pre-requisites?

• I haven't installed SP3 yet. But is there any error expected ? I don't have time to read the doc. Please tell what are the prerequisites.

• That would be a shame for you to wait 5 hours for us to answer while reading 1 page of text takers 2 mins.

The SQL Server 2005 SP3 Readme files describe how to obtain the latest version of SQL Server 2005 Books Online, how to obtain SQL Server 2005 SP3, and provide information about this release of the SQL Server 2005 Notification Services components. The SP3 Setup documentation provides installation assistance.

SQL Server 2005 SP3 will upgrade all editions of SQL Server 2005 to SP3 except Express Edition. You must use Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express Edition (SQL Server Express) SP3 to upgrade instances of SQL Server Express to SP3. SQL Server Express SP3 can also be used to install a new instance of SQL Server Express.

• just install it and tell us what happens

• Sorry I agree with Ninja's_RGR'us. You need to read the documentation. It will take longer to get a reply to your dilema than reading the docs. A good DBA reads all docs to insure everything is installed correctly. Do you have a test server to try SP3 on?

• I think it also depends on what version of SQL Server 2005 you are applying SP3 to as well. So far I have had no problems with SP3 installs on my x86 versions on my desktop systems (Developer Edition), and replies to my issue here has indicated that others applying SP3 on x86 versions have had no problems. I had no problem applying SP3 to a single instance server running x64 version of Developer Edition, however I am hving issues with applying SP3 to a multi-instance server running x64 version of Developer Edition.

• :w00t:I'm a SQL developer that keeps very busy most of the time.

I don't think I would ever come strait out and tell a forum that I am to busy to read a simple document.

Now if you read the document and did not understand it that would be a very valid reason to chime in on a forum for help.

So simply put your to busy to do your job and I'm finished with my work for the day, so how bout I read your document, :hehe:do part of your job and say you give me part of your paycheck because I'M doing your job for you.

• I beleive you should first go with SP2 then upgrade your server with SP3 additionally before applying SP3 in production test it properly.

• Still ranting...

the simple fact of the matter is that if he had bothered to start the install he would have known right away if he could do a straight upgrade or he would have had a clear error message with clear indications of the contratry.

I don't expect everyone to know this, but still that seems pretty basic to me!

• Read What's New in SQL Server 2005 SP3 to know the list of bugs resolved before installing in production server

review:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd353312(SQL.90).aspx

read carefully: Microsoft SQL Server 2005 SP3 Release Notes

based on your environment: cluster / replication/mirroring and others:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/5/7/1/5718A94A-3931-457B-8567-AA0995E34870/ReleaseNotesSQL2005SP3.htm

• Simple Question :

Do I need to apply SP1, SP2 before applying SP3 on SQL Server 2005.

Why are you guys arguing ... if you know answer just share it, otherwise be quite.

Answer : From the same page where you download SQL Server 2005 SP3

Overview

SQL Server 2005 service packs are cumulative, and this service pack upgrades all service levels of SQL Server 2005 to SP3.

Link: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=ae7387c3-348c-4faa-8ae5-949fdfbe59c4&displaylang=en

From Other Source:

Service packs are cumulative - each new service pack contains all the fixes in previous service packs, as well as any new fixes. You do not need to install a previous service pack before you install the latest one. For example, Service Pack 6a contains all the fixes in SPs 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6.

Link : http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc750077.aspx

Ninja.

People who ask question here in this forum are not as intelligent as you... please spare others.

Regards

IM

-- Teaching is learning Twice.

• Do I know a lot because I read a lot or do I know alot because I do a lot???

What was my first answer? >>> Try

It would have taken you between 2 and 5 minutes of work to setup a test environement assuming you don't have one... then another 2 minutes to start the install and see it succeed.

That, to me is the best answer I can give anyone, EVER.

Now that you know how to fish, you won't have to wait for us to feed you the pre-digested answers.

• sayfrend (12/22/2008)

Ninja.

People who ask question here in this forum are not as intelligent as you... please spare others.

Intelligence isn't in question here. Laziness is.

"I'm too lazy to read the documentation, so read it and summarise it for me" is not a good attitude.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • FyI: I am working with developer and went straight to sp3 and it installed and is working just fine. I didn't download #1 or 2.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply