SP3 Install Failure

• I found that for a service pack 3 install failure, if I ran the sqlredst.exe from service pack 3 (it is a silent install), then rebooted the server, I could install service pack 3 correctly.

I hope that this helps.

Andy

• I was running 2.6 prior to the upgrade.

• Upgrading to mdac 2.7SP1 did not do the trick for me. Still getting the authentication message. The only thing left that I know of that could be causing a problem is that IIS is running on the system and that I have to stop that before running setup for SP3.

• I got same kind of error when I installed SP3 on 1 of my SQL Server. It ended up that I changed the location of the temp file under the environmental variables to a new location and that fixed my problem. Must be something corrupted in the temp file.

Try this and see if this would do the trick.

• I just finished SP3 on 50 servers over the past 4 weeks. I had several cases of the 'unable to verify'. Search for sql*.log in your WINNT directory, and you'll find a log with the exact statement and error. In most cases, I found that it could not find the server when running an osql statement referencing the server with the parm -Slpc:SERVERNAME. I ran that statement manually, and had the same problem. It's the 'lpc:' that gives it trouble. I installed MDAC 2.7 manually, and was then able to run the statement successfully. After that, the service pack completed with no problems.

Edited by - tshay on 04/03/2003 06:18:57 AM

• TShay, thanks but if you'll read back to my previous posts you'll notice that I've upgraded to 2.7SP1 and it still hasn't worked. Did you have any problems with servers running IIS or anti-virus software? My last option is to try disabling these services as I have tried everything else.

• Sorry! I should have seen that. What does it say in the sql*.log (under c:\winnt) file(s)? There should be a specific reason for the failure.

• I learned the hard way. Had to disable IIS before the SP could be applied. I was able to apply it the weekend of 4/5 after disabling IIS.

• I had a issue of one machine with permissions that stopped the install..it seemed that the service account the runs the msi installer service had lost its rights to system32...after re-setting up the permissions for local system the service pack install ok.

I don't know if this will help you..but you've tried everything else..?

• I too received the "not able to authenticate" error when installing SP3a. The above suggestions did not help me (setting DSQUERY=DBNETLIB in registry, installing MDAC 2.7 SP1 Refresh, setting TMP and TEMP environment variables, etc.). What worked for me was stopping and restarting the MSSQLSERVER service after receiving the "not able to authenticate" message. After receiving the this message you are prompted to Retry or Cancel. At that point manually STOP/START the MSSQLSERVER service, then come back and click on Retry.

• I spoke too soon. My previous suggestion to stop/start the MSSQLService mid-stream is bad advice. Apparently this only treats the symptom, but not the core problem because a little further down stream I got "Error running script: sp1_serv_uni.sql" which turned out to be more connection problems. The following link provided the information I needed to solve both of my installation problems (not able to authenticate, and the sp1_serv_uni.sql error) and allowed me to apply SP3a successfully.

http://www.tkdinesh.com/faq/ans/servuni.html

• I had the same exactly the same error on a sql server which was running CIM and IIS.

As soon as those services where shutdown it install went fine.

Steven

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply