SP3 Install Failure

• I am getting errors installing SP3 on SQL Server 2000 Developer Edition. The current version of MDAC on the win2k server is 2.6. The error message states "setup was unable to verify the state of the server for an upgrade. Verify the server is able to start and that you provided a valid sa password and restart setup." in sqlsp.txt. The database is working fine despite this message. Will upgrading 2.6 to 2.7 manually and restarting setup fix this issue? If so, is there a KB article to describe this? In previous posts there was mention of KB 328306 but there is no specific reference to this error message.

• 1. Change the temp folder in the environmental variables to c:\temp.

2. Ensure the NT account you use to run setup is in local administrator group.

2. Add/Change the "DSQuery" entry in the registry. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MSSQLServer\Client\ConnectTo\DSQuery value to "DBNETLIB".

• All 3 of the values are correct as you mentioned. The only thing I can point my finger to at this point is mdac.

• SP3 supposes to upgrade MDAC to 2.7 SP1. Use MDAC component checker to verify the MDAC version before reinstall MDAC manually.

• You are correct, SP3 is supposed to upgrade MDAC. However, if setup can't even authenticate with SQL Server then it cannot begin the upgrade process. I want to make sure that upgrading MDAC first will allow SP3 to move forward with the installation process. However, I am having a difficult time finding anything concrete saying that this is the proper solution other than what is being posted on the message boards.

• You are correct, SP3 is supposed to upgrade MDAC. However, if setup can't even authenticate with SQL Server then it cannot begin the upgrade process. I want to make sure that upgrading MDAC first will allow SP3 to move forward with the installation process. However, I am having a difficult time finding anything concrete saying that this is the proper solution other than what is being posted on the message boards.

• Check client network utility to ensure TCP/IP is enabled in your SQL Server.

Upgrade MDAC manually wonldn't hurt the SP3 installation. In fact, you could skip MDAC installation druing the SP3 installation with debug mode.

setupsql.exe k=dbg

In order for SP3 to function properly, MDAC 2.7 SP1 is must.

• The CNU and SNU are configured properly.

• I would suggest install MDAC 2.7 SP1 manually and check the log file dasetup.log in c:\winnt for any issues.

• Does Microsoft have it documented to upgrade to MDAC 2.7SP1 and then run setup?

• Check this KB. It is exactly for your problem.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;814844

• Everything in the KB article you mentioned checks out on the system ok. However, this KB article doesn't specifically state that upgrading to MDAC 2.7SP1 as a potential fix for the problem.

• I guess you have to open a call to PSS. Post back once you resolve this problem.

Edited by - Allen_Cui on 03/18/2003 09:48:44 AM

• I've also had this problem. To get around it I've reboooted the server and ensured that sql server and agent(not sure if agent is required to be up) services are started. When you've added the service pack, reboot your server.

• What version of MDAC were you running prior to upgrading to SP3? I rebooted my machine prior to the install as well but that didn't fix my problem.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply