Source Safe and DTS

• Hi everyone,

We are currently all of our sp, tables, views etc in to source safe. Everthing is fine as we can script it, until we get to DTS packages. Sure they can be scripted to .BAS files and used in source safe that way, but then the DTS package can't be re-created from a historical .bas file. We know that the .BAS file could be used as a task in a package, but you loose the graphical interface.

How do you handle version controlling of DTS packages? Let SQL server handle it?

Any ideas, suggestions greatly appreciated.

Stuart

-------------------------------Posting Data Etiquette - Jeff Moden [/url]Smart way to ask a question
    There are naive questions, tedious questions, ill-phrased questions, questions put after inadequate self-criticism. But every question is a cry to understand (the world). There is no such thing as a dumb question. ― Carl Sagan
    I would never join a club that would allow me as a member - Groucho Marx

• And as a post script - how about OLAP cubes and version controlling?

Stuart

-------------------------------Posting Data Etiquette - Jeff Moden [/url]Smart way to ask a question
    There are naive questions, tedious questions, ill-phrased questions, questions put after inadequate self-criticism. But every question is a cry to understand (the world). There is no such thing as a dumb question. ― Carl Sagan
    I would never join a club that would allow me as a member - Groucho Marx

• As VSS can control anything that's file-based, why not save to a structured storage file (*.dts) and use that in VSS? These files get big as they can save multiple versions within themselves, so I tend to save a fresh file when I have a version which won't need to be rolled back. This also has the effect of the packages being read-only unless you check them out.

You can run DTS packages straight from a structured storage file in an Execute Package task. Hence the architecture we use is to have a control package on the SQL server which calls subsidiary packages from their files.

This has another advantage. When you're setting up the Execute Package task and select the dts file, you get a tree in the dialog box to show the different versions contained in the file (even if there's only 1 version). If you select the very topmost node of the tree, you can update the .dts file without needing to re-link the control package as the latter will just knowto use the latest in the file.

The holy grail I'm after for version control would be a VSS / Studio style integration, where the IDE stops any edits if the object is not checked out. For objects not stored as files (eg SPs, tables), this seems a difficult one.

Bill.

• I use Bill's method. There really isn't a good integration anywhere. The thing that I'll do when files get big is kill the older versions within the file since I've already got them in VSS.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply