Source control in MS SQL- Advice and suggestions

• Hi guys,

Have been posting about this topic within this week; seeking advice and ideas on Source control /  version control to be implemented in MS Sql.

Here is the scenario in which i have been working:There are 2 servers  one is a test server working as a test enviornment and one is a production server working as a live enviornment

The required stored procedures, jobs and functions are created / modified on the test server and then they are deployed to the production server after testing;

We need to implement auditing kind of thing in which we can track down history of the changes made to sps and functions on a test server and which user had done the modifications

We have explored Sql source control by redgate and the options they are offering;

However i would like to know if there is in- built source control system within MS SQL server or does Microsoft offer similar tool for source control.What are the advantages or disadvantages of this source control if Microsoft offers any or within MS SQL application ? Is it efficient as what redgate offers ? Is it cost producttive? 

Any help , suggestion, advice is most appreciative

Regards,
    ADIL

• adilahmed1989 - Sunday, October 15, 2017 2:50 AM

Hi guys,

Have been posting about this topic within this week; seeking advice and ideas on Source control /  version control to be implemented in MS Sql.

Here is the scenario in which i have been working:There are 2 servers  one is a test server working as a test enviornment and one is a production server working as a live enviornment

The required stored procedures, jobs and functions are created / modified on the test server and then they are deployed to the production server after testing;

We need to implement auditing kind of thing in which we can track down history of the changes made to sps and functions on a test server and which user had done the modifications

We have explored Sql source control by redgate and the options they are offering;

However i would like to know if there is in- built source control system within MS SQL server or does Microsoft offer similar tool for source control.What are the advantages or disadvantages of this source control if Microsoft offers any or within MS SQL application ? Is it efficient as what redgate offers ? Is it cost producttive? 

Any help , suggestion, advice is most appreciative

Regards,
    ADIL

Any suggestions or advice would be most helpful since we would like to implement the Source control system ASAP for auditing purpose.

• Hi Adil,

There's nothing out of the box with SQL or Management Studio that I'm aware of.

I've always used Red Gate Source Control for this in the past and have always been pleased with it. It's a good tool and integrates nicely into SSMS.

Thanks.

• Farlzy - Monday, October 16, 2017 8:26 AM

Hi Adil,

There's nothing out of the box with SQL or Management Studio that I'm aware of.

I've always used Red Gate Source Control for this in the past and have always been pleased with it. It's a good tool and integrates nicely into SSMS.

Thanks.

Thanks for the advice and suggestion

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply