SOUNDEX

• steve.jacobs (11/26/2013)

webrunner (11/26/2013)

Amazing question. Even more amazing is that I got it right. I guessed, admittedly. But I will run and study the code, because it's a really cool puzzle.

By the way, is it possible to have a "SOUNDEX" type of function for images? Just wondering.

Thanks,

webrunner

By definition, no. SOUNDEX acts upon characters, not BLOBS (or images). However, if you properly index your image (say, based on name or some other identity), you can use SOUNDEX and DIFFERNCE but, as explained in the answer, it is not guaranteed to return what you may think it should. Anything dealing with images, a custom CLR\Assembly would have to be added to the SQL solution if you wish to act directly upon the image.

Thanks! I was envisioning some program that could consume the pixel definitions and positions of an image and somehow try to compare it to another, so that you could query a collection of BLOBs and return a list of images that look like the one submitted. But I guess that wouldn't work with the images themselves, maybe image data is too hard to work with in that regard or maybe they use some other method to try things like face recognition, etc. Although SOUNDEX and DIFFERENCE might work, as you said, with tags or index names given to the images.

Thanks again!

webrunner

-------------------
    A SQL query walks into a bar and sees two tables. He walks up to them and asks, "Can I join you?"
    Ref.: http://tkyte.blogspot.com/2009/02/sql-joke.html

• Neat question! Thanks Steve.

Every time I have ever tried to use soundex, it has not worked as expected and I have had to look for other means. Thankfully, there have been few production issues that required this sort of matching for me.

• great question and explanation steve..

• Unfair for non-english speakers...

• Stewart "Arturius" Campbell (11/26/2013)

Koen Verbeeck (11/26/2013)

Interesting question, thanks. Keep it up!

+1

thanks...

+1. Enjoyed this question thoroughly. 🙂

• sqlnaive (12/6/2013)

Stewart "Arturius" Campbell (11/26/2013)

Koen Verbeeck (11/26/2013)

Interesting question, thanks. Keep it up!

+1

thanks...

+1. Enjoyed this question thoroughly. 🙂

Thank you very much. More to come...

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply