Sorting working differently after moving from SQL Server 2008 to 2012

• Kristen-173977 (10/9/2015)

Personally I'm not keen on that sort of workaround (or the "-1" for the EmpLogin for that matter) such things tend to have side effects and/or break sooner or later - someone's name starts with a space, or even a digit because of Goofy Data, or the QA lot complain that the HTML validation fails (although "& lt;" [EDIT can't figure out to escape that, hence the space] would sort even lower than "<" 😎 ).

Defensive coding definitely has it's place, but I don't think that this is one of them. The ramifications of the wrong sort order in a drop-down list are negligible.

If someone's name starts with a space or a digit, then the data is bad and you would be better off fixing the data instead of working around bad data, especially since the bad data may cause a severe problem somewhere else that you may not be aware of.

If the HTML validation fails, it's a bug in your HTML validator. HTML validators should be able to distinguish between angle brackets that are quoted and angle brackets that are unquoted.

Drew

J. Drew Allen
    Business Intelligence Analyst
    Philadelphia, PA

• drew.allen (10/9/2015)

If someone's name starts with a space or a digit, then the data is bad and you would be better off fixing the data instead of working around bad data, especially since the bad data may cause a severe problem somewhere else that you may not be aware of.

Agreed. However, loads of the data in our APPs comes from elsewhere and typically data entry staff ignore our error reports telling them how goofy it is. Management tell us that their staff are marvellous and believe they diligently fix everything in our error reports ... but the error reports get longer each week 🙁

Either way, you are right in that its definitely not my problem as I'm confident all such goofy data is either validated during data entry (into our APP) or is reported if imported from elsewhere.

If the HTML validation fails, it's a bug in your HTML validator. HTML validators should be able to distinguish between angle brackets that are quoted and angle brackets that are unquoted.

That's me being thick. You are quite right - the value would indeed be quoted, sorry about that.

Viewing 2 posts - 16 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply