Sort Order - Include Null al last

• I know English isn't everyone's first language, so I don't mean to be insulting, but a bit of proofreading just to make sure the question is intelligible would be a good thing.

Not sure how that would apply since the expected output is shown.

• Same thing happened to me. I chose answer 2.

• "You have a table with EmpName and DateOfLeaving columns. The EmpName column is mandatory, but DateOfleaving will have null value for those employees who have not left the company. The question is to have list off (maybe of not OFF, or maybe i should destroy the list, hahahahahaha:P) all employees with the employees with DateOfLeaving coming last (DateOfLeaving coming last, does this mean the DateOfLeaving is the last column?) and all others sorted ascending order of date of leaving (and all others sorted ascending order of date of leaving, what the heck is the meaning of the statement, which other?), Name sorted in ascending order for each group. Consider the Example:",

But for the example shown: I think the Answer 2 is the best answer.... I am a newbie SQL programmer, but please tell me if I am still going to follow the posting in this site. This question and answer my reflect the qualification and integrity of the SITE moderator and admin, and which newbie will follow.. Please dont let me follow the wrong doing........

• evifra (6/23/2008)

"You have a table with EmpName and DateOfLeaving columns. The EmpName column is mandatory, but DateOfleaving will have null value for those employees who have not left the company. The question is to have list off (maybe of not OFF, or maybe i should destroy the list, hahahahahaha:P) all employees with the employees with DateOfLeaving coming last (DateOfLeaving coming last, does this mean the DateOfLeaving is the last column?) and all others sorted ascending order of date of leaving (and all others sorted ascending order of date of leaving, what the heck is the meaning of the statement, which other?), Name sorted in ascending order for each group. Consider the Example:",

But for the example shown: I think the Answer 2 is the best answer.... I am a newbie SQL programmer, but please tell me if I am still going to follow the posting in this site. This question and answer my reflect the qualification and integrity of the SITE moderator and admin, and which newbie will follow.. Please dont let me follow the wrong doing........

evifra - You have demonstrated that you have the ability to weigh judgement. Rather than asking a bunch of strangers, you should stick around long enough to find out how you feel about this site.:P

Tom Garth
    Vertical Solutions[/url]

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves." -- Will Rogers
  • As already mentioned by others, the second "correct" answer (#3) is definitely incorrect. The author didn't test it.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• I was quite surprised when QOTD said I was incorrect. I was supspicious when there were check boxes and not radio buttons, yet only one correct answer. I had a feeling it was going to be like this. :hehe:

Q

Please take a number. Now serving emergency 1,203,894

• I also answered with #2 only.

However, looking back at the question you may notice that if the DateOfLeaving is a text instead of date field, the ordering for choice #3 actually does work.

I think that the question is poorly phrased and #2 really should be the only answer, but this interpretation is possible given the way the question was written.

• When the question of the day is incorrect, everyone keeps posting the same thing over and over. Maybe we should have a standard reply form:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I selected A B C D E (circle all that apply) but the explanation said that I was wrong even though my answer was correct.

These questions should be Reviewed Tested Edited Read (circle all that apply) before being posted.

I want my points

____ Added to my account

____ Donated to starving children in _____

____ I don't care about my points

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• One thing is for sure, based on the responses, we have a lot of passionate users in this forum! I too chose #2 and was zapped.

• That's for sure 😀

• Technically, the question as worded and the answer match, but there was a given solution which contradicts the question by being worded incorrectly. "the solution should be..." should be changed to "the solution might look like...". If the solution "should" be as stated, there is only one correct answer. I think this is a classic example of the poor communication that is often shared between managers, programmers, and dba's.

• What a great start to my day, answered the right answer (#2) and told it was wrong

I agree, what's with recent QotD mishaps?

You had no idea how important 1 point is to me 😛

Reminds me of MSFT, releasing X and not testing X 😎

SQLServerNewbieMCITP: Database Administrator SQL Server 2005
  • Monday, June 23, 2008

9:23 PM (Philippine Time)

To to QA Poster,

Please rectify the questions (or maybe the answer), so that if someone finds this, he will not be lead to confusion or mistake. This simple thing will help the site's information qualification.

Yours,

evifra

p.s.

Please read first before posting.... HAHAHAHA:hehe:

• You forgot one...

___ Donate to starving DBA.

😀

• This makes my day a really BAD DAY,

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 138 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply