Some users showing in error log as attempting to open a database they do not have access to

• Sqlraider - Tuesday, June 5, 2018 12:24 PM

yep, I ran fn_my_permissions on both those getting the error and those not getting the error. Everything looks as it should permissions wise for this AD group. I just can't figure out why some users when opening up a New Query window in SSMS it tries to access a database they do not have permissions to.

I'm grasping at straws here, could it be they are using an ODBC connection that they selected this database to connect to?

Thanks,
    Sqlraider

If they get that error just when opening SSMS and trying to connect, they need to change the database in SSMS. You get to that through the options button on the Connect to Database Engine windows that first pops up.

Sue

• Sue_H - Tuesday, June 5, 2018 12:33 PM

Sqlraider - Tuesday, June 5, 2018 12:24 PM

yep, I ran fn_my_permissions on both those getting the error and those not getting the error. Everything looks as it should permissions wise for this AD group. I just can't figure out why some users when opening up a New Query window in SSMS it tries to access a database they do not have permissions to.

I'm grasping at straws here, could it be they are using an ODBC connection that they selected this database to connect to?

Thanks,
    Sqlraider

If they get that error just when opening SSMS and trying to connect, they need to change the database in SSMS. You get to that through the options button on the Connect to Database Engine windows that first pops up.

Sue

I had the users share their desktop and the option was set to 'default' which would connect them to master (the default for this group). I had them 'reset all'. then connect. Same error message. I then had them set to connect to a database that they do have permissions to and connect. Same error message. I set the default for the group from master to a database they have permissions to. Same error message. Each time any changes described above were done i had them close SSMS and reopen. 

They are using SQL Server 2016 CTP3 Management Studio ver. 13.0.11000.78 and I have SQL Server Management Studio v17.4  ver. 14.0.17213.0.
    We are connecting to SQL Server 2016.

• This has been 'fixed'. In case someone else has this problem here are the steps taken to correct this.

After exploring and trying all the suggestions above (Thanks Sue) to no avail for reasons unknown.

I had the network team uninstall any and All versions of SSMS from the user(s) showing in the error log (just in case). Then I had them install SSMS v17.4 or higher, in this case the latest version was v17.7. I watched the error log as each user with the new version opened multiple query windows. No error log messages.

Thanks,
    Sqlraider

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply