Some but not all databases in Availability Group are inaccessible

• Hello experts,

I'm seeing a strange problem that I don't know how to permanently fix. For an AG that I administer, I am seeing that some - but not all - databases are inaccessible. The inaccessible databases show this message:

Policy Evaluation Result on Availability Database ...

Data synchronization state of availability database is not healthy

Description:

The data synchronization state of this availability database is unhealthy. On an asynchronous-commit availability replica, every availability database should be in the SYNCHRONIZING state. On a synchronous-commit replica, every availability database should be in the SYNCHRONIZED state.

And when I expand the AG databases, I see a mix of accessible and inaccessible databases (see screenshot).

I managed a clumsy fix yesterday by restarting the primary node for that AG. It was OK for a while, but the users soon reported that the same situation had returned about 30 min later.

Does anyone know why this condition arises, and how I can investigate and fix it?

Thanks for any help!

-- webrunner

• This topic was modified 1 year ago by  webrunner. Reason: Typo fix
    • This topic was modified 1 year ago by  webrunner.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

-------------------
    A SQL query walks into a bar and sees two tables. He walks up to them and asks, "Can I join you?"
    Ref.: http://tkyte.blogspot.com/2009/02/sql-joke.html

• If your databases stop synchronizing - then you have additional issues with those databases.  You need to figure out why those databases have stopped synchronizing and address those issues.

Look into the SQL Server logs on the primary and secondary - and the windows event logs to see if there are any other messages that can help identify why you are having these issues.

Jeffrey Williams
    “We are all faced with a series of great opportunities brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.”

― Charles R. Swindoll

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

• Hi Jeffrey,

Great, thanks for your help. I'll check the logs to see what is different between the two subsets of databases that could be causing this issue.

-- webrunner

-------------------
    A SQL query walks into a bar and sees two tables. He walks up to them and asks, "Can I join you?"
    Ref.: http://tkyte.blogspot.com/2009/02/sql-joke.html

• Is the group set synchronous or asynchronous mode

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply