Solving the Target Principal Name is Incorrect

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Solving the Target Principal Name is Incorrect

Thank You.

Regards,
    Raghavender Chavva

• This also happens if a user changes their password after logging in to their computer.  The AD token retained by the user session is different from the result queried by the SQL Server.  I have had users come to me with this on numerous occasions, and my advice is always to log out and back in again.  80% of the time this fixes the issue.

• you can also use the Microsoft Kerberos Configuration Manager for SQL Server

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/811889/how-to-troubleshoot-the-cannot-generate-sspi-context-error-message

• Alex Gay - Thursday, May 31, 2018 5:15 AM

This also happens if a user changes their password after logging in to their computer.  The AD token retained by the user session is different from the result queried by the SQL Server.  I have had users come to me with this on numerous occasions, and my advice is always to log out and back in again.  80% of the time this fixes the issue.

Correct Alex, whenever we get this type of connectivity issue as a first step we need to logoff and login to the server, then connect to the instance. Most of the times it will resolve the issue.

Thank You.

Regards,
    Raghavender Chavva

• You will also see this error when using a VPN to connect. I had a work laptop that you would log in using domain credentials. Then you would connect to the VPN. At the end of the day, I would disconnect from the VPN, then lock but not shut down my laptop. It might take a day or two for the AD token to get stale and then the server would throw the same error. I got in the habit of doing a complete shutdown at the end of the day.

• I've had this happen via a straight SSMS connection from my computer and have seen something similar with replication. A few times the DC was hosed up and needed a reboot which solved it.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply