Software to send Report

• Hi Experts,

Currently we are using SQL Server and Database Mail to send reports and with new projects and requirements it seems like the Report sending will increase . Is there an alternative for sending report than sending from SQL Server\Agent?

• It all depends what's required.

SSRS

PowerBI

Tableau

Qlik

All of these are data visualisation/reporting tools.

But it depends what's needed, just a simple dump of data, send mail is a crude way but hey it works.

• SSRS is fairly solid for this

you can subscribe to reports (and get them emailed to you) and keep historic versions on the server... plus you can export in excel, pdf etc

it is very clunky and slow, but it is web driven and most importantly already part of SQL, so you don't have to pay for a tableu licence.

to design reports just download visual studio SSDT (data tools) and make sure that your SQL sever reporting services is configured (especially the mail server bit)

you might not like it to start with , but you'll get there... just one small peice of advice - do NOT use MSDB storage for your packages..  modifying reports becomes a few steps too painfull for my liking

MVDBA

• VastSQL wrote:

Hi Experts,

Currently we are using SQL Server and Database Mail to send reports and with new projects and requirements it seems like the Report sending will increase . Is there an alternative for sending report than sending from SQL Server\Agent?

What do the reports look like and what drives their construction?  Hopefully, some well written stored procedures that run quickly and efficiently?  If so, I may have a "trick" for you that I use for my morning disk and jobs reports.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Ant-Green wrote:

It all depends what's required.

SSRS

PowerBI

Tableau

Qlik

All of these are data visualisation/reporting tools.

But it depends what's needed, just a simple dump of data, send mail is a crude way but hey it works.

Thanks , we mainly use to send some select statements data(daily,weekly & monthly around 20 reports) and also daily disk and database reports

• MVDBA (Mike Vessey) wrote:

SSRS is fairly solid for this

you can subscribe to reports (and get them emailed to you) and keep historic versions on the server... plus you can export in excel, pdf etc

it is very clunky and slow, but it is web driven and most importantly already part of SQL, so you don't have to pay for a tableu licence.

to design reports just download visual studio SSDT (data tools) and make sure that your SQL sever reporting services is configured (especially the mail server bit)

you might not like it to start with , but you'll get there... just one small peice of advice - do NOT use MSDB storage for your packages..  modifying reports becomes a few steps too painfull for my liking

Thanks MVDBA, I have tried SSRS but in our case some reports have multiple attachments in same reports. The SSRS is also not giving result in proper format.

Can you guide on how to use SSDT for reports? You mean to say create an SSIS package as Data Flow Task --> File Destination and then send as mail?

• Jeff Moden wrote:

VastSQL wrote:

Hi Experts,

What do the reports look like and what drives their construction?  Hopefully, some well written stored procedures that run quickly and efficiently?  If so, I may have a "trick" for you that I use for my morning disk and jobs reports.

Thanks Jeff,

Right now the reports are using some select statements, we can make it into procedures, but my main concern is ,is SQL Agent designed to send multiple reports(we already have about 50 jobs running)?. Yes we use these for sending disk space details and database details every morning.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 2 months ago by  VastSQL.
  • This was removed by the editor as SPAM

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply