Software Has Bugs

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Software Has Bugs

• Famous last words: "I just found the last bug!" Yeah, right. Hope springs eternal though.

Every piece of software, bar the most trivial, has bugs. And every piece of untested software, even the most trivial, has bugs. Prove me wrong.

It also strikes me that disaster recovery  plans are vey like computer programs in this respect. Every untested DR plan has bugs.

MarkD

• Really folks, I don't know what you're talking about, my software really has no bugs. *

* As long as you define bugs in the same way I do.

• Forty years ago, when I started programming.  My boss and I were discussing a bug found in my software.  At the end of the meeting he said remember this: "There Are NO Undetected Bugs!" .  Still holds true today.

• I once heard the metric for the number of bugs in a thoroughly  tested and debugged program was something like 1 per thousand lines of code. And that's for a thoroughly tested program.

Lord knows what it is for something freshly minted. 🙂

I suspect DevOps is actually worse than average at spotting bugs, simply because of the pace of development. Regression testing and eyeball Mk. I can only catch so much, and what it does catch is stuff we've seen before, leaving vast realms of the unsuspected for boojums to lurk in.

• call.copse - Tuesday, June 13, 2017 3:54 AM

Really folks, I don't know what you're talking about, my software really has no bugs. *

Ah, yes. No bugs, but many features. Many of them, I didn't even know I'd put there.

Just my genius showing.

MarkD

• call.copse - Tuesday, June 13, 2017 3:54 AM

Really folks, I don't know what you're talking about, my software really has no bugs. *

And only test my code exactly the same way I did. Then, no bugs! 😛

Kindest Regards, Rod Connect with me on LinkedIn.

• Reminds me of this classic Dilbert cartoon.

Kindest Regards, Rod Connect with me on LinkedIn.

• When the performance of a young developer was questioned meaning why does he create so many bugs, he response was simple, "because he does so many things"....

I then knew that it was an expectation that there would be bugs, the trick is to limit the number to an acceptable few, if that is possible.

Not all gray hairs are Dinosaurs!

• Of course there will always be bugs. 
    However, there is no excuse for production software containing negligent bugs.
    It is impossible to find crazy outliers but I find myself frustrated when basic functionality is broken.
    The grossly obvious bugs should be found in the QA process but it is scary how often that is not the case.

• Recently a vulnerability was found in the Samba software, and apparently it has existed for seven years.

The original "bug" was an actual bug that crawled into a mainframe computer and shorted out the circuits. In that case it's easy to identify an eight legged creature with wings as something that obviously doesn't belong in your CPU. Today's bugs are more subjective; we're basically talking functionality that doesn't work the way the collective user base (or at least you personally) don't want it to work. Perhaps the Samba "bug" is really an undocumented feature, sort of like a master key that hotel management or authorities can use to access guest rooms when needed.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• Someone once said to me that what you get when you buy expensive software is a bigger bug list.

I think the logic is that something like Microsoft Word is bought by millions so you have millions of people using all sorts of features and demanding that some of those "features" get fixed.

If you have a high end CAD system costing a 6 figure sum then the market is small, bugs are extremely expensive to fix and there aren't many people finding those bugs.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply