Software Flexibility (Avoiding the next hack)

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Software Flexibility (Avoiding the next hack)

• Cyber attacks can never be completely avoided but simple habbits like keeping a strong password, not clicking on any suspicious links, checking for the accuracy or genuineness of emails, changing passwords frequently, not sharing passwords, keeping your system locked when u r away from your desk etc go a long way in ensuring that you are safe from cyber attacks.

• Create a whole microservice for a coupon ordering process? As if microservices come free. You need to build it. Have a team to maintain it. And then you have to page AWS or Azure till the end of times for the additional cloud services.

It's way way less expensive to explain to the product manager the actual cost of the different options, and let them realize the least expensive is the technically sound one.

• Louis, you are SO very correct!! Over the years I've sat in too many meetings where the users say, "Oh you only need to put in a fixed rate which will never change...", only to have to refactor that code because business practice has changed. But on the other hand, trying to add flexibility everywhere throughout the code can result in an overly complex piece of software which doesn't need to be so complicated. From my point of view, it isn't clear how much flexibility you need to add to a new software solution vs. where you can stop adding flexibility.

If I were to be starting my career today and chose computer science in a master's or Doctorate program, I think I would try to determine what categories of functionality would be best suited to adding flexibility in code vs. what categories aren't as likely to change.

Kindest Regards, Rod Connect with me on LinkedIn.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply