Smelly Power

• Michael Valentine Jones (4/25/2012)

Matt Miller (#4) (4/25/2012)

Michael Valentine Jones (4/24/2012)

I would think that venting the waste heat into a cluster of greenhouses would make a lot of sense. Grow expensive flowers or vegetables in places where they would not normally grow, especially during the winter.

Also would be good PR: "Look we're green! See all the greenhouses!"

If you're going that far - be sure to vent the excess CO2 there as well, or use some of the synthetic carbon capture mechanisms (which act like plant-based chlorophyll).

I don't think most data centers produce CO2 directly, unless they are being powered by a motor generator.

In any case, the growing plants in the greenhouses would be absorbing CO2 from the atmosphere, so that would be another plus.

True, but in order for most of the heat recapture plants to work viably, most of them have to be very local (basically on-site or the heat loss is too high). So you end up with a business park with their own garbage reclamation thermoelectric plant, and the businesses using it essentially own part of this power plant (whether it's burning the business trash, solar panel farms etc...). That was the CO2 I was thinking of.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

• Matt Miller (#4) (4/26/2012)

True, but in order for most of the heat recapture plants to work viably, most of them have to be very local (basically on-site or the heat loss). So you end up with a business park with their own garbage reclamation thermoelectric plant, and the businesses using it essentially own part of this power plant (whether it's burning the business trash, solar panel farms etc...). That was the CO2 I was thinking of.

It's an interesting idea. I'd love to see this as a business partnership. Someone manage the plants, perhaps grow something useful elsewhere and move the power back to the company.

Viewing 2 posts - 16 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply