Slow SQL Server

• I am new to SQL server 7 and have just made a small database, the largest table at the moment is around 2000 rows. I am having major problems with the performance though.

The problem i have is when i run enterprise manager and open a view/query that my web pages use, suddenly my web pages load very fast ie <1/2 sec. However if i close down enterprise manager, it then takes over 8 seconds to load the same page(my webpages need to be very responsive). I also have an ms access frontend to my database and that also does the same thing. I have put SP3 on SQL7 and has not made any difference.

What have i done wrong?. Could this be down to indexes?.

• This could be from the default net lib that you are using. You might be connecting with named pipes from the application. Configure you net lib using the client network utility.

See if that helps you.

Tom Goltl

• I've just checked that and it's set to TCP/IP.

• Are you saying that the speed of the web server is dependent on EM being open? Are you executing the same query in the web page and in Query Analyzer?

Steve Jones

steve@dkranch.net

• If i run the view/query in EM or interdev in the query builder then my webpages are fast and the access frontend is fast. When i quit either EM or interdev QB then they slow down alot.

The query that im running has about 5 joins in it.

The server has 512MB and 2 cpu's btw.

• DB set to autoclose maybe? If EM was keeping it open, you'd see a lag when a new connection was established.

Andy

• Just checked that and it is set to autoclose. I didn't know anything about that one. I'll have to make sure it has fixed the problem tomorrow. Looks like it has though.

Cheers Andy.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply