slow down of server

• The users are complaining of general slowdowns in my environment. I enocuntered database locks, timesouts, and connection errors regarding these slowdowns, but sometimes the system works normally. I want to make my application work faster, not sure where to start the process to figure out what excatly the problem is causing. I tried looking at the long runnig queries throug profiler assuming to find something wrong in coding.

Please guide me how to start my job here to discover where exactly the problem is? Its urgent

• Profiler is a very good place to start. If you run it during the slow downs you should be able to identify the source of the long duration locks

Also make sure that you indexes are not fragmented and that your statistics are up to date.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Here's my 'short list' for tuning:

Round I

DBCC UPDATEUSAGE

UPDATE STATISTICS (with FULL scan) for all tables

exec sp_recompile for all tables

exec sp_refreshview for all views

Round II

DBCC DBREINDEX

UPDATE STATISTICS (with FULL scan) for all tables

exec sp_recompile for all tables

exec sp_refreshview for all views

Round III

Profiler

Query Hints

Hint: Write scalable code to start with !

RegardsRudy KomacsarSenior Database Administrator"Ave Caesar! - Morituri te salutamus."

• Rule one of support...find out what has changed. Has someone just updated some of the SQL?

Also, check for any errors in the SQL server logs. If you see any errors for 'not enough contiguous memory available' it could explain your problem.

Regards Peter.

• 1) Search these forum archives, as well as the web and the msdn sql forums.  There is a wealth of information on performance analysis and tuning.

2) If it is really important, hire a professional to give you a quick performance review.  That is MUCH better than trying to figure out something you were not trained for for days/weeks trying to get a handle on it yourself - while your system continues to be non-performant.  There are a BUNCH of things a pro can do in the first few hours he/she is monitoring your system.

Best,
    Kevin G. Boles
    SQL Server Consultant
    SQL MVP 2007-2012
    TheSQLGuru on googles mail service

• Great advice !!!

RegardsRudy KomacsarSenior Database Administrator"Ave Caesar! - Morituri te salutamus."

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply