Sleeping process CPU

• Hi,

I have a sleeping process which seems to be taking a lot of CPU and Physical I/O . At times this value goes really high and was wondeing if I should be worried about it. The process is from on of our scheduler which seems to do a SELECT on a specific table.

• Where are you seeing those values?

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • In the activity monitor...

• If I'm not mistaken, it gets the info from the session DMV, and that's cumulative since the connection first connected. Sleeping means not currently running anything.

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• Though it is sleeping ( not performing any operation) , I see that the CPU numbers and Physical I/O numbers are high so should I be worrried about it??

• Those numbers are cumulative. They show the total cpu and the total IOs that the connection has done since connecting. If these connections have been open for a long time and have run lots of queries (as you implied they had) then those numbers would be high.

Gail Shaw

• We have a diffferent machine which is used to schedule jobs ( not SQL serer agent) and looks like this process tries to get the various jobs that needs to run at a give time and hence runs a 'SELECT query' against the database .

Since this process is always present / seen on activity monitor I should not be worried about it..

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply