Situation DB can go offline part of AOAG

•  

Can y'all think of a reason where a db that is primary and part of AOAG went offline. I do know the log file drive was not accessible for few minutes, i am not 100% sure if it will bring the DB offline. Kinda hard for me to test that right now , wondering if anyone else were in similar situation. I tried renaming the log file but that didn't really change DB to offline.

• If the log drive goes offline - or the data drive for that matter - then yes, the database will go offline and will not come back online automatically.

When and how did you try to change the name of the log file?  Depending on how you did that - it definitely could have caused the database to go offline.  To rename the log file, the database has to go offline - then you rename the log file - then bring the database online (assuming you updated the log file definition in SQL Server to point to the new log file name).

Jeffrey Williams
    “We are all faced with a series of great opportunities brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.”

― Charles R. Swindoll

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

• Thanks. That also means AG wouldn't failover to another node even though you AG is in synchronous mode with auto failover because having a DB offline even though it is part of AG is not a condition to failover ?

• That would be my guess - in fact, having a DB in an availability group that is offline could actually prevent an automatic fail over from occurring because the secondary database is not in a synchronized state and it cannot be synchronized.

Jeffrey Williams
    “We are all faced with a series of great opportunities brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.”

― Charles R. Swindoll

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply