SIOS DataKeeper and SQL Failover Cluster Instance on Azure

• We have been looking at using using SIOS DataKeeper on Azure to setup failover clustering between two VMs running SQL 2016. It is working in a proof-of-concept setup but I am wondering if anybody has any experience and feedback on running this in a production environment? Big question: is it production worthy? Any comments appreciated.

• cjd97565 - Friday, December 23, 2016 7:30 AM

We have been looking at using using SIOS DataKeeper on Azure to setup failover clustering between two VMs running SQL 2016. It is working in a proof-of-concept setup but I am wondering if anybody has any experience and feedback on running this in a production environment? Big question: is it production worthy? Any comments appreciated.

What was the outcome of your POC?  We're working on our own POC at the moment in AWS.  We're looking at it to help fill an HA gap for distribution databases.

• crony1 - Monday, July 10, 2017 8:22 AM

cjd97565 - Friday, December 23, 2016 7:30 AM

We have been looking at using using SIOS DataKeeper on Azure to setup failover clustering between two VMs running SQL 2016. It is working in a proof-of-concept setup but I am wondering if anybody has any experience and feedback on running this in a production environment? Big question: is it production worthy? Any comments appreciated.

What was the outcome of your POC?  We're working on our own POC at the moment in AWS.  We're looking at it to help fill an HA gap for distribution databases.

We didn't end up going with it. We had a few issues getting it up and running but it did seem relatively stable once we did. At the time there was an issue where the SIOS solution it wasn't supported on Windows Server 2016. In the end we went with an Availability Group solution instead but that has its own issues. For us it basically came down to picking Microsoft technology over another vendor. I couldn't find much feedback from anybody actually using it in production (as seen in this post) so we were hesitant to have our live environment dependent on it.

• cjd97565 - Monday, July 10, 2017 9:50 AM

crony1 - Monday, July 10, 2017 8:22 AM

cjd97565 - Friday, December 23, 2016 7:30 AM

We didn't end up going with it. We had a few issues getting it up and running but it did seem relatively stable once we did. At the time there was an issue where the SIOS solution it wasn't supported on Windows Server 2016. In the end we went with an Availability Group solution instead but that has its own issues. For us it basically came down to picking Microsoft technology over another vendor. I couldn't find much feedback from anybody actually using it in production (as seen in this post) so we were hesitant to have our live environment dependent on it.

We're at the point now where it seems stable and are testing edge cases where it comes to high availability.  Overall, I'm impressed at how well it performs.  Our use case is limited to distribution databases for now, especially because of the lack of feedback that you had mentioned.  Like you, we'll be using availability groups for our user databases.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply