Single Node MSSQL 2012 cluster to Always on

• We need to migrate one of our MSSQL instances in Production . The outgoing replication is to Informatica and is very complex
    So we are thinking of doing Storage migration instead of following standard MSSQL migration but it involves cost

Instead we want to reduce the cost and find a way to migrate this one node cluster ( current instance setup ) to Always On setup so that it will have individual storage and always on failover can be done without impacting outgoing replication for this Instance .This will help migrate the cluster easily and also achieve moving it to Always on which we are doing currently as a part of the project .

Is it possible and do we have leads to follow ?

• My conclusion till now :
    Configure Always on between current one node MSSQL clustered existing instance  and new standalone MSSQL installation
    I am still exploring options and open to suggestions

• The machines all need to be part of the same windows cluster in order to do AOAG's.  Can you do a geospatial cluster where you have servers in multiple sites?

• Yes, agreed with your point! All the servers should be within one Windows cluster.
    We are in a scenario where we have two different windows clusters WINClust1 and WINClust2. and SQL Server Cluster "SQLClust1" is part of the windows cluster WINClust1, and SQL Server Cluster "SQLClust2" is part of the windows cluster WINClust2
    I want to set up AlwaysOn between these two Windows clusters. Is there any way both windows clusters can talk to each other? May be resolving on any alias like WINClust0.

Thanks in advance for your input!

• Not possible as they are separate Windows clusters.

Your options would boil down to doing things like SSIS, Replication, Log Shipping etc to transfer data/databases between the 2 clusters.

Unsure if you could merge the clusters into one big cluster https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn530789(v=ws.11).aspx found that link but it was on a Hyper-V forum so unsure if it would work for SQL

• muzikfreakster - Friday, May 5, 2017 4:19 AM

Is there any way both windows clusters can talk to each other? May be resolving on any alias like WINClust0.

Thanks in advance for your input!

Windows 2016 onwards supports workgroup and multi domain clusters, anything lower than 2016 requires membership of the same WSFC

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• thank you anthony.green  and   Perry Whittle                  

• Hello Perry,
    Combination of windows 2016 and SQL 2016 alwayson HA feature can support windows cluster multi subnet failover in workgroup environments, So in this setup where windows cluster object and SQL listener object are stored? will it stored in AD or DNS server? does it require domain account for setup cluster?  generally all clusters objects are created or pre-staged objects in AD only.. 
    I am new in window's 2016 operating system.
    Thanks

• I'm not entirely grasping what you're trying to do here.  If I'm understanding correctly, you're trying to migrate a database from one cluster to another.  To do this you're asking about setting up an AG between the two clusters, eventually failing over to the new cluster as part of this migration?

An AG wont work as they're separate clusters but you could use database mirroring to replicate to the new cluster.

https://sqlundercover.wordpress.com/

• SQL Galaxy - Tuesday, May 9, 2017 1:31 AM

Hello Perry,
    Combination of windows 2016 and SQL 2016 alwayson HA feature can support windows cluster multi subnet failover in workgroup environments, So in this setup where windows cluster object and SQL listener object are stored? will it stored in AD or DNS server? does it require domain account for setup cluster?  generally all clusters objects are created or pre-staged objects in AD only.. 
    I am new in window's 2016 operating system.
    Thanks

a workgroup cluster does not use AD, it is DNS based.
    The cluster service does not run under any other account apart from the builtin, its been this way since Windows 2008.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply