Single Database Vs Multiple Databases

• I read differing opinions about using a single large database Vs multiple smaller databases. Not considering the benefits with backup/restore, from a performance stand point, will it make a difference?

• Not really. Backup/restore is a valid reason, but remember that the trade off is there is no way to do a restore that will maintain transactional consistency across dbs.

Andy

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/awarren/

• Andy is correct and this it what makes it hard to keep up. But uniqueidentifiers as PKs will make it easiest to identify incositancies as they are unique and will not be reissued after a restore.

Using different DBs is similar to using different servers except Hardware resources are the same for all DBs and they share them. I prefer different DBs when I want to compartmentalize data bsed on function such as Human Resources whos employee data may be used by another group. Avoid using Identity fields as keys will help in being able to backtrack loss to correct or someother unique method such as an assigned value like we have user name IDs here that don't match of Identity value in HR table.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply