Single config file for multiple SSIS packages

• Hi Ashok,

Why don't you have below approach.

1.A separate connection config which will have all the connections and would be common to all packages.Please make sure that connection variables name would remain same in all packages for a specific connection string.You can place it at secure location.

2.For rest of the variables create another config per package.Which is easy to maintain instead of having all variables in a single file.Also it reduces the risk of failures of all packages in case file is locked or not accessible.

This way every package will call two config files i.e. Connection Config & Package Variable Config.

--rhythmk
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    To post your question use below link

https://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/forum-etiquette-how-to-post-datacode-on-a-forum-to-get-the-best-help
    🙂

• You can have one file for everything, you just specify the xml file and pick "re-use existing" when you setup configs. But then you wont get the option to setup anything specific to that package. Additional configs or changes need to be done by editiing the file.

In our old setup (pre-2012 stuff) we use SQL configs (same as xml 1 table = 1 file) with one table being dedicated to all connection mangers, file, FTP, OLE, ADO, Caches, etc.... anything that could be a source or destination. we have a few hundred entries in that table and its a standard config in every package. We then have a single SQL config table for every solution or project, these at a minimum all have 1 entry called ApplicationName which is the name of the solution or project (used in standard error message). I would recommend against i config per package, that will become difficult to manage very quickly.

hth Tom

Viewing 2 posts - 16 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply