Simplest backup

• Backup ground: Small consignment shop database. Will have approx 20 tables and a few views, approx 100,0000 records.

What is the simplest backup strategy for MSSQL 2005 Express? I would like to be able to write the backup data to CD's or USB sticks. I need something simple for Mom.

thanks,

Dean

• Run the backup to disk and copy the backup file to CD or USB.

MohammedU
    Microsoft SQL Server MVP

• My question is how do I backup a database(The process)?

• Refer SQL Server Books online to know how to configure an automatic backup using SQL Server Agent. You can create an SQL backup job.

• Actually with SQL Server 2005 express the job agents functionality has been disabled.

• Your best route for this is to create a text file containing your backup command, and create a batch file that will call osql using your text file as an input file.  Use the built-in Windows scheduler to run the batch file at desired intervals.

hth,

Tim

Tim Mitchell, Microsoft Data Platform MVP
    Data Warehouse and ETL Consultant
    TimMitchell.net | @Tim_Mitchell | Tyleris.com
    ETL Best Practices

• DECLARE @PathName VARCHAR(1024)

SET @PathName = ''\\[Server]\Backups\[FileName]'' + CONVERT(VARCHAR,GETDATE(),112) + ''.bak''

BACKUP DATABASE [DATABASE_NAME]

TO DISK = @PathName

WITH

NOFORMAT,

NOINIT,

NAME = N''DBBackup'',

SKIP,

STATS = 10;

GO

SCRIPT TO BACK UP

• the example shown has you backing up directly to a network share.  generally that's a bad idea because if the network goes down, your backup fails.  backup failing is bad because then you have no backup!

better practice is to backup to a local disk on the server, and then copy the backup to the network share.

---------------------------------------
    elsasoft.org

• I have a simple application built with VB6 and ADO especially for backing SQL server express. If anyne is interested I can upload source + executable or mail the whole thing. Just drop me a note.

I use it with two cmds that run daily (full an differential backup) and also rar the backup file to save space...

• Hi,

I'm sure this is a really silly question but how do I create a batch file to call osql to run the contents of the textfile?

Thanks

• use the -i flag.

if you are using 2005, better to use sqlcmd instead of osql.  osql is deprecated.

elsasoft.org

• Hi,

Thanks for teh reply. I'm fairly new to this so forgive me for the simple questions but how do I use this -i flag?

I presume what I need to do is something like:

Make a batch file and save it on C: then make a scheduled task in Windows to run this batch file.

What does my batch file need to say?

If I use sqlcmd instead, what does my batch file need to say?

Thanks again.

• Gift: not sure why you posted those links, none of them really show you how to use sqlcmd or osql...

anyway, the best reference in all things related to SQL Server is the docs that come with it: books online.  Here's the entry on sqlcmd:

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms162773.aspx

and here's a tutorial:

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms170207.aspx

a sample bat file that executes a script would look like this:

sqlcmd -i "c:\myfile.sql" -S MYSERVER -E -d MyDatabase

the -E means to use windows auth.  to use sql auth, use the -U and -P flags instead.  This cmd would execute the script at c:\myfile.sql in the context of MyDatabase on the server MYSERVER. 

there's much more detail about sqlcmd in books online, at the links above.

elsasoft.org

• Hi,

I think that's exactly what I'm looking for. I'll give it a go later on this morning.

Much appreciated.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply