shrinking files in an availability group

• Hi guys

this is just a test database, so no urgency

I have a database that has about 8Mb (yes a tiny database)  but the log was allowed to grow to 74GB (with 99% free space) - there are no open transactions , it got restored to our new 2019 server and put into an availability group

so, I've run a checkpoint on the database, a dbcc opentran()  and then a shrinkfile on the log . the log won't shrink

normally I can fix this by swapping to simple recovery model and then fixing it,  - put it back into full and start a backup (the backup is just for DR)

But being in an AG I cannot change the recovery mode.

any hints as to how to get that stupid log to shrink are more than welcome

MVDBA

• Whats the status of log_wait_reuse_desc in sys.databases?

May be a case that you need to run a few log backups to get it to be able to checkpoint and shrink.

•  

Mike, what is log_reuse_wait_desc  for this database in sys.databases?

select name, log_reuse_wait_desc from sys.databases where name=N'yoursmalldb'

• Ant-Green wrote:

May be a case that you need to run a few log backups to get it to be able to checkpoint and shrink.

it could be replication also ...

if it is, then  the proc  sp_removedbreplication  should help

• Ant-Green wrote:

Whats the status of log_wait_reuse_desc in sys.databases?

the log_wait_resuse_desc is saying LOG_BACKUP

MVDBA

• fixed it perfectly

thank you.

even though the database had come from a full backup it did not want to shrink until it had a t log backup of an empty log file.

good shout on that one

MVDBA

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply