Shrinking databases below original size

• HI,

Now I have my log files sorted out (thanks again) I come to my other issue - The designer who set the databases up in the first place set them all up as enormous files, compared with what they ought to be. They are none of them above 50% fill, mostly they are about 33% fill. As diskspace is an issue for me I was wondering if there was any way for me to shrink them down below original create size? I tried all the obvious things, DBCC SHRINKFILE DBCC SHRINKDATABASE etc but no joy! If anyone has any suggestions I would be most thankful.

• Shrinkfile should work.

Andy

• Which version of SQL Server? Shrinkfile was not around for version 6.5 or before.

Shrinkdb won't allow the database to be shrunk below the absolute minimum size.

Shrinkfile debuts with Version 7. If you are using either that or 2000 then shrinkfile should work.

Patrick Birch

Quand on parle du loup, on en voit la queue

• I am using SQL Server 7. I have tried shrink file and it does nothing because the database was set up originally with this size. I can't explain why because I only inherited it. Am I just stuck with it?

• quote:

I am using SQL Server 7. I have tried shrink file and it does nothing because the database was set up originally with this size. I can't explain why because I only inherited it. Am I just stuck with it?

What are you setting as the target size?

What size is your model database? Shrinkfile will not make a file smaller than the size of the model database.

Patrick

Quand on parle du loup, on en voit la queue

• Hi, Thanks for all the help guys. I eventually managed to shrink the dratted file yesterday morning. I had several problems with running out of diskspace as the log grew while I was shrinking the database, but got there eventually. I had been following instructions left by the chap who designed the thing in the first place. There was a truncate on the end of the statement, as soon as I removed that it worked. Hopefully that will be the end of my disk space problems!

Cheers again for all the help.

• Good news, glad you got it resolved. Hope you'll continue to participate here.

Andy

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply