shrink databases

• Hi All,

Which one is good to use while shrinking ?
    DBCC SHRINKFILE()
    DBCC SHRINKDATABASE()

I know shrinking is bad, however if I may have to use which one is good and WHY?

Thanks,

Sam

• vsamantha35 - Tuesday, March 12, 2019 1:33 AM

Hi All,

Which one is good to use while shrinking ?
    DBCC SHRINKFILE()
    DBCC SHRINKDATABASE()

I know shrinking is bad, however if I may have to use which one is good and WHY?

Thanks,

Sam

Shrinkfile - transaction log.

Muthukkumaran Kaliyamoorthy
    https://www.sqlserverblogforum.com/

• Shrink file is the better choice because of its scope
    Keep in mind you need to rebuild all indexes in that file after your shrink datafile ( not log ) operation because the shrink only moves stuff together.

Johan

Learn to play, play to learn !

Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly ...
    but keeping both feet on the ground wont get you anywhere :w00t:

- How to post Performance Problems
    - How to post data/code to get the best help[/url]

- How to prevent a sore throat after hours of presenting ppt

press F1 for solution, press shift+F1 for urgent solution 😀

Need a bit of Powershell? How about this

Who am I ? Sometimes this is me but most of the time this is me

• Also, in addition to the other suggestion, a very important safety note. If you shrink a database once because of some untoward event, fine. If you're scheduling your shrinks or running the manually and regularly, that's a very big issue and must stop. You are causing major problems on your system with repeated shrinks of the database.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• ALZDBA - Tuesday, March 12, 2019 4:50 AM

Shrink file is the better choice because of its scope
    Keep in mind you need to rebuild all indexes in that file after your shrink datafile ( not log ) operation because the shrink only moves stuff together.

Thanks for all the responses.

Follow up questions :

Why should we rebuild indexes if we shrink a data file? Is it going cause any fragmentation ? How does the shrink is gona work behind the scenes?
    As per  my  knowledge goes, shrink will release free space (if any) at the end of file. For example , if I have 10GB data file , out of which 5GB used, and if I use a shrink-file them 5GB will be released to OS. Correct me if I am wrong.

• Grant Fritchey - Tuesday, March 12, 2019 6:18 AM

Also, in addition to the other suggestion, a very important safety note. If you shrink a database once because of some untoward event, fine. If you're scheduling your shrinks or running the manually and regularly, that's a very big issue and must stop. You are causing major problems on your system with repeated shrinks of the database.

Sir, what kind of problems we might end up with ? could you please elaborate a little bit?

• vsamantha35 - Friday, March 15, 2019 4:47 AM

ALZDBA - Tuesday, March 12, 2019 4:50 AM

Follow up questions :

Why should we rebuild indexes if we shrink a data file? Is it going cause any fragmentation ? How does the shrink is gona work behind the scenes?
    As per  my  knowledge goes, shrink will release free space (if any) at the end of file. For example , if I have 10GB data file , out of which 5GB used, and if I use a shrink-file them 5GB will be released to OS. Correct me if I am wrong.

You will need to rebuild your indexes because shrinking the data file will cause fragmentation.

Thanks

• vsamantha35 - Friday, March 15, 2019 4:48 AM

Grant Fritchey - Tuesday, March 12, 2019 6:18 AM

Also, in addition to the other suggestion, a very important safety note. If you shrink a database once because of some untoward event, fine. If you're scheduling your shrinks or running the manually and regularly, that's a very big issue and must stop. You are causing major problems on your system with repeated shrinks of the database.

Sir, what kind of problems we might end up with ? could you please elaborate a little bit?

As previously mentioned regarding index fragmentation and subsequent rebuilding of indexes. The database will more than likely need to grow again and growth events have a hit on performance. It's far more important to size your database and growth correctly. Try to avoid growth events as much as possible and leave space for your database to grow into.

Thanks

• NorthernSoul - Friday, March 15, 2019 4:55 AM

As previously mentioned regarding index fragmentation and subsequent rebuilding of indexes. The database will more than likely need to grow again and growth events have a hit on performance. It's far more important to size your database and growth correctly. Try to avoid growth events as much as possible and leave space for your database to grow into.

Thanks

Yep, this.

Repeated shrinks causes problems because you then have to regrow. There has to be space to rebuild indexes, add new data, etc., etc., shrinking takes that way, causes big issues with your indexes, and then the regrow points cause locking and blocking while that process occurs. It's a mess.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Thanks a lot Sir. Got it.

• ALZDBA - Tuesday, March 12, 2019 4:50 AM

Ah... careful now.   You don't actually need to rebuild ALL of the indexes.  Some of them may not have been inverted by the shrink.  You only need to rebuild the ones that actually suffered the inversion.  Just do your normal index maintenance which, hopefully, isn't all of the indexes, fragmented or not.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• NorthernSoul - Friday, March 15, 2019 4:53 AM

vsamantha35 - Friday, March 15, 2019 4:47 AM

Follow up questions :

You will need to rebuild your indexes because shrinking the data file will cause fragmentation.

Thanks

See my previous post...

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• vsamantha35 - Friday, March 15, 2019 4:47 AM

Follow up questions :

When you shrink a file, it does it page by page from the "end" of the file to the first available freespace at the beginning of the file.  Any indexes that are affected in such a manner by the shrink will be "inverted".  What I mean by that is that a part of the index or even the whole index will be in totally reverse physical order compared to the page logical order.  That causes massive logical fragmentation and, if they occur, any "Read Aheads" will be limited to as little as a single page and that causes a heap of trouble for performance when something needs to be loaded from disk into memory (and everything needs to be loaded into memory before it can be used by code).

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply