Shrink database

• Terrie (1/7/2013)

Thanks for all your replies. One shrinks a database to recover space. What does shrink with notruncate accomplish?

Terrie

Move pages to the beginning of the file. Mildly useful in certain situations. If not followed by rebuilding indexes, can result in a serious performance degredation.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• Terrie (1/7/2013)

Thanks for all your replies. One shrinks a database to recover space. What does shrink with notruncate accomplish?

It does exactly the same as shrink does, just without releasing the empty space back to the file system.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • I'm just trying to make sure I understand. So shrink with notrucate moves the pages to the front of the file and does not release the space to the operating system. Do you stil risk fragmenting the disk?

• Terrie (1/7/2013)

I'm just trying to make sure I understand. So shrink with notrucate moves the pages to the front of the file and does not release the space to the operating system. Do you stil risk fragmenting the disk?

No. It doesn't do anything to the actual file structure as far as the disk is concerned. Just moves data around inside the file.

The risk of physical level fragmentation is from repeatedly growing the file, not directly from shrinking it. Repeatedly shrinking is usually followed by repeatedly growing, so that's where that comes into play.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply