Showing User Permissions in 2005

• In SQL 7, one could right click a table or Stored Procedure, choose All Tasks, Manage Permissions, and be shown a list of users/roles that had permissions on that object.  Once there you could move the radio button to "list only users/roles with permissions on this object" to review who was already assigned.

The Sql 2005 method seems to be a mess, or I just haven't found out how to do anything similar.  To see (using the GUI) who has permissions on an object requires starting from the role or user side, then adding various objects to the upper grid, then clicking on each object to see what permissions that one user has.

Does anyone know how to do what I described in the first paragraph in SQL 2005?

Student of SQL and Golf, Master of Neither

• Yep,

it's a mess alright in SQL 2005.  As far as the GUI is concerned, whoever designed the GUI around security must have purposefully tried to design a system that required the most number of mouse clicks possible.

In short, you cannot do it the way you could in SQL 2000.

I'd stick to T-SQL and using sp_helprotect.

•   I to have found that user grants are terrible. Personally I do NOT like the Mgt studio from a DBA prospective at all. Ent. Manager flowed very well... oh well I guess, what cha gonna do.

I guess we go back in time and be like an old Oracle dba and manually do what is required.

• Right-click on the table or stored procedure and choose Properties.  Then choose Permissions in the upper left window.  It's not as good as SQL2000 but better than the way you described.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply