should I use sql server 2012 or 2106 for a cluster

• Looking for insight on which is better for now. I have the option of installing 2102 for our cluster at work, but 2016 is out. Since we have a bunch of conversions to do from 2008, I am looking for insight as to which is the more stable environment for the cluster database. Should I just use the 2012 since its been out for a while?

• SQL Server 2016 is not actually released yet, so I wouldn't recommend it for a production environment (legally, unless you're part of Microsoft's TAP, you can't). However, SQL Server 2014 is out and is quite stable. I'd recommend that over 2012.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Since 2016 hasn't been publicly released yet, I wouldn't advise you use it for production. There's SQL Server 2014 to consider as well, don't forget.

John

• ok, why 2014 over 2012, I was leaning towards 2014, but wasnt sure of the benefits and stability for our production area.

• Why not?

Upgrading's a pain, so if you're setting up a new server you may as well go for the latest version, save you from having to upgrade in a couple years

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • A lot of the functionality that was introduced in 2012, Availability Groups, ColumnStore indexes, others, are much improved in 2014. Also, the 2014 cardinality estimator is completely new and improved, first time since SQL Server 7. Add to that the lifecycle of the product is a couple of years newer. Those are some of the reasons why I prefer 2014 to 2012.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• ok, looks like its settled, I will implement 2014 for the cluster, thanks everyone.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply