Should I Stay or Go?

• Don't leave because you think something else might be better. Leave because you know it will be better.

I've seen a LOT of "greener grass" that turned out to be AstroTurf.

I've seen a lot of people leave jobs because "my boss is a ..." (fifth word depends on vocabulary, manners, and current emotions of person speaking), only to realize that the problem wasn't that particular boss.

Research the location you're heading towards. Don't just assume it will be better because someone marketing it (a hiring manager is a marketing/PR function) says it's nice. Really find out.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• This is a timely discussion: I have been in my current role a little over 4 years, and I am starting to worry that I'll be pigeon-holed as a "healthcare guy." Not that I worry about being "stuck" in healthcare too much, since it is not going away as a possible job market, but I have worked various IT-related roles in a lot of different industries (e.g., magazine publishing, manufacturing, IT consulting, marketing/promotions). I guess the article and the thread makes me feel less mid-life crises-y about my current worries...so thanks!

• Kyrilluk (5/26/2016)

Good article.

It reminds me that for a very long time, I wasn't that interested in SQL dev, Business Intelligence, etc. I had a very expensive and demanding hobby and I had found a job that paid relatively well part-time. At that time, it would have never crossed my mind (and actually it didn't) to go to a SQL conference or even study in my own time to become better at T-SQL or learning about SSIS, etc. So I stayed 7 years at the same job. But then, my hobby become too expensive to carry on (= wife not happy :-D) so I focused on what I was doing at work and put my energy in learning SSRS ,SSIS, SSAS, etc even during the holiday (remember being on the beach with my tablet and perusing a book on DW and on Business Intelligence). I then moved to a job that was supposed to fasten my progress: I worked in a small financial institution with very nice others more experienced BI Devs. But I left very quickly (6 month later) because the transfer of knowledge was much slower that I anticipated. Being in a team is nice but I hated being constraint in my learning environment (yes, I actually left a firm because the over zealous I.T. manager blocked any internet access to blogs!). The work/learning mix was very low (more than 90% work).

Instead I choose a place were people were nice but didn't know much about BI. On the other hand, they let me learn on site whatever was needed to do my job and I have access to any resource I want. 2 years on and I'm still enjoying this unique position. I'm still learning. So I'm happy 🙂 When the job will be so busy that I won't be able to learn anymore, I will then reassess my options. For me, a good place of work, is one that offer the right mix of work and learning. And for me, the right mix is : 60% work and 40% learning/experimenting. So if the work go up to 80% for several month, then I will seriously reassess my options.

You are basically telling my story (except for the wife and hobby part). I love my current place mainly due to no restrictions on accessing resources.

And I hate my current place for not having any budget for new software or training, no colleagues to learn from (and with), and much more work than it is possible to do, so I have to choose what work to do.

Fortunately, this implies options! I do pretty much what I fancy at any given time. And I will never run out of things to look at and learn about. Couple that with happy colleagues each time I've solved some old nagging issue, and it is really, really hard to decide whether I should stay or I should go...

And as you said: If the work part go up to 80 % for several months, then I too will seriously reassess my situation. Learning is important. Honing and maintaining my current skillset account for the rest.:-P

• GSquared (5/27/2016)

Don't leave because you think something else might be better. Leave because you know it will be better.

Completely agree but most people leave because they know that they are in the wrong shaped hole but don't know what shaped peg they are or what shaped hole they are in. All they know is that they keep trying to bash themselves into the wrong shaped hole and it keeps hurting. My advice is to really work out who you are and what role/company/manager etc will actually suit your personality type and then go and find it.

• Recombinant (5/27/2016)

GSquared (5/27/2016)

Don't leave because you think something else might be better. Leave because you know it will be better.

Completely agree but most people leave because they know that they are in the wrong shaped hole but don't know what shaped peg they are or what shaped hole they are in. All they know is that they keep trying to bash themselves into the wrong shaped hole and it keeps hurting. My advice is to really work out who you are and what role/company/manager etc will actually suit your personality type and then go and find it.

(emphasis added)

Which is what I mean by "...know it will be better...".

Of course, some people will be unhappy wherever they are, but still have to pay bills.

And sometimes, there isn't a "better", just a "not as horrible" - if that makes sense.

Regardless, doing the research on both self and environment, and then acting accordingly, is the point.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• j_e_o (5/26/2016)

My current employment situation took a very bad turn a while back but I survived and today things are much better.

However, when the job was not going well, I tried looking for another job. I even had interviews where the second on-site interview went well or extremely well, but no job offer. This happened enough that I have revised my resume to remove half of my job experience and I removed all other dates (degrees and training) because I truly believe the problem was age discrimination (obviously I am older) and my mistake was to 'date' myself.

It is hard to move on when you encounter such a hurdle. I hope to keep on working where I am presently and I take multiple courses every year to improve my knowledge and skill set and keep close tabs on the industry.

I did the same thing with my resume on a recruiter's advice. I left only the jobs relevant to the position I was seeking, even though that went back 25 years (since SQL Server v1.1!). I took the year I graduated from college off too (1978 :Wow:) . At age 60, after I was laid off in February from an insurance company where I was strictly a developer, I found another job nine days later as a VP of Database Operations for a small digitally-enabled direct lending company. In this new job, I think I found the mother lode as I get to learn all kinds of new SQL technologies - SQL Azure, VS 2015, Data Tools, SSIS and SSRS, etc. 🙂

I remember worrying about ever getting another job when I got laid off the first time ever back in 2008, during the Great Recession. I was 53 and everyone of every age bracket was getting laid off. I had to work my butt off but managed to find another Senior DBA position in Queens but at a huge pay cut and 1.5 to 3 hours long commute (I live in NJ). But it kept my skills sharp and relevant, and paid the bills (barely) while i kept looking. Two months later, I found a good job as a SQL developer in way downtown Manhattan that paid 15K more with bonuses and a view of the Statue of Liberty. 😀 But after 7 years being there then getting laid off in February, I stagnated skills wise on the job as the shop was very slow moving in accepting newer SQL technologies to the point where I didn't even bother to do any research on new SQL stuff online plus the boss was the worst micro-manager ever. But this new job restored my faith - I get to do 60% work and 40% learning and enjoying life again. I can see myself working until I'm 70 if this keeps going. 😎

But anyway hopefully I give my fellow over-50s hope and inspiration companies will still hire mature experienced SQL workers as long as you keep as current as you can.

• Sometimes it is difficult. I took a position once where the work completely changed in the space of 12 months but due to a great rate, great location and flexibility when I had a health issue it was difficult to leave. Sometimes life is complicated and responsibilities take precedence.

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply