Sharepoint Growth is Good

• I've seen one good implementation of Sharepoint, which ignored the workflow aspects entirely but made it very easy to keep project data in one place and share it effectively. And I've seen one horrific implementation of Sharepoint, which just ended up being shunned like a talkative hypochondriac because it was just too badly set up to compete with e-mailing documents around, even though that meant that versions got out of synch with each other. I've seen one medium implementation that really should have been replaced with Source Safe, for document versioning, and a simple blog page.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• GSquared (10/29/2009)

I've seen one good implementation of Sharepoint, which ignored the workflow aspects entirely but made it very easy to keep project data in one place and share it effectively. And I've seen one horrific implementation of Sharepoint, which just ended up being shunned like a talkative hypochondriac because it was just too badly set up to compete with e-mailing documents around, even though that meant that versions got out of synch with each other. I've seen one medium implementation that really should have been replaced with Source Safe, for document versioning, and a simple blog page.

so.... whose porridge did Goldilocks eat? :hehe:

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• jcrawf02 (10/29/2009)

GSquared (10/29/2009)

I've seen one good implementation of Sharepoint, which ignored the workflow aspects entirely but made it very easy to keep project data in one place and share it effectively. And I've seen one horrific implementation of Sharepoint, which just ended up being shunned like a talkative hypochondriac because it was just too badly set up to compete with e-mailing documents around, even though that meant that versions got out of synch with each other. I've seen one medium implementation that really should have been replaced with Source Safe, for document versioning, and a simple blog page.

All three, aparently. She's a bit of a glutton.

And to think, her whole problem with bears could have been avoided if she'd been on a carb-free diet and hadn't eaten the porridge!

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• GSquared (10/29/2009)

jcrawf02 (10/29/2009)

GSquared (10/29/2009)

And to think, her whole problem with bears could have been avoided if she'd been on a carb-free diet and hadn't eaten the porridge!

Wow, I never considered the dietary lessons from that tale, vegetarian bears and Goldilocks on Atkins. She might end up eating the bears, and the whole moral would have been different...

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• jcrawf02 (10/29/2009)

GSquared (10/29/2009)

jcrawf02 (10/29/2009)

GSquared (10/29/2009)

Wow, I never considered the dietary lessons from that tale, vegetarian bears and Goldilocks on Atkins. She might end up eating the bears, and the whole moral would have been different...

Domesticated, porridge-fed bear is probably much more tender and juicy than the ones you would hunt in the wild!

Property of The Thread

• GSquared (10/29/2009)

jcrawf02 (10/29/2009)

GSquared (10/29/2009)

jcrawf02 (10/29/2009)

GSquared (10/29/2009)

Domesticated, porridge-fed bear is probably much more tender and juicy than the ones you would hunt in the wild!

.....the grizzly tale of Microsoft Bearpoint 2007. 😛

OK, OK, I'll get my coat.

Semper in excretia, suus solum profundum variat

• Anyone using the "free" version of SharePoint 2010?

SharePoint Foundation 2010 comes free with a Windows Server license and has some very funky features that used to be part of the licensable SharePoint Standard 2007 version.

The one we're having fun with (yes, real fun and not too much pain - at least not yet) is Business Connectivity Services (BCS) which was the previous BDC (Business Data Catalogue).

More here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/ee819133.aspx ... DBA with little or no .Net programming expirience can build simple apps without too trouble. Check out the offline capabilities - scary stuff!

Viewing 7 posts - 31 through 36 (of 36 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply