sharepoint db grows quickly

• Is this a prod or dev (or other) system?

What's actually growing? .ldf? .mdf? both?

Sharepoint can be a right orge of a thing to manage in the SQL space.

Check recovery models, also check how much data the .mdf is actually using vs. how big the file is on disk (how much 'white' space you have).

Also Sharepoint has inbuilt re-indexing and maintenance functions, careful of these.

As discussed, shrinking DB's should be a last resort. It's an ugly ace up the DBA sleeve.

Carlton.

• Thanks all.

This is a production database of a sharepoint work collabration site.

It's setup as full recovery mode. and we do have transaciton backup every 3 hours. Transaction log is not a problem.

The one I concerned is the .mdf file, it is now 85 gb.

And it grows quickly each week.

What do I need to do, I mean, until what size it grows to , i need to do something.

For example, do I need to add another file group?

or 85 gb. is still a normal size for SQL server to handle well ?

• Speak to your SharePoint lot and ask them if there is any archiving etc that goes on, also if there was an estimated size and growth forecast when this went live (?).

Carlton..

• You should check sharepoint: library versioning, users recycle bin, second level recycle bin...

Last week we had the same problem this one our client, who turned on unlimited versioning in library and put there a lot of BIG pdf files (from 10 to 70 Mb) and 5-8 times changed properties. So content db grows 15 GB by few hours...

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply