Sharepoint database

• Apologies if this is in the wrong forum, but couldn't quite make up my mind where it should go....

We have a Sharepoint 3.0 installation and a lot of content has been added by the admin, however he coded some links (well, hundreds really) with an admin share reference i.e.

file://\\SERVER\d$\dir1\dir2\interesting.doc

and surprise, surprise, when it came to user testing, the users didn't have access to 'd$'. He has asked if I can change the content in the database to

file://\\SERVER\dir2\interesting.doc

as all the users have read permissions on this directory.

I had a look around and found the table dbo.AllLinks in WSS_Content and it seemed to contain the right data - a column 'TargetDirName' held the link. A little test - edited one of the links through the Sharepoint GUI, and hey presto the data in dbo.AllLinks changed - all seemed well.

So off I went an issued an update to change the link using T-SQL. Checked the row, all changed - checked Sharepoint no change at all???

Anyone got any ideas? Anyone ever edited Sharepoint content directly in SQL?

TIA

Kev

• I don't think I would take that approach, I would be more comfortable modifying things through the web services, but I think your approach should work.

After you made your update, did you restart IIS? Sharepoint does some caching.

• Michael Earl (6/24/2008)

After you made your update, did you restart IIS? Sharepoint does some caching.

I'm sure I did an 'iisreset', but I'll try again and check......

Kev

• I am curious, did it work after the iisreset?

ML

• kevriley (6/24/2008)

So off I went an issued an update to change the link using T-SQL. Checked the row, all changed - checked Sharepoint no change at all???

Anyone got any ideas? Anyone ever edited Sharepoint content directly in SQL?

Here's my idea: Restore from backup because you just voided your Sharepoint warranty. Microsoft absolutely will NOT support customers doing this. I know, because I have been in this situation (actually, data content was corrupted by either Sharepoint, PSS or an MS-Engineering supplied tool) many, many times and instead of using 5 minutes of SQL to fix it, I had to go through days and weeks of elevations and go-arounds with Microsoft every time.

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

• Sorry - should have posted an update long ago........

No, the iisreset had no effect whatsoever.

In the end we actually edited the links by exporting the data from Sharepoint into an Excel spreadsheet and using the old faithful 'find & replace'.

My gut feeling that editing Sharepoint content directly in SQL was wrong on so many levels, seems to have been validated!

Thanks everyone.

Kev

• If you are looking for a document generation add-on to SharePoint, take a look at this [SharePoint document generation] site. It has basic info on all the vendors. It makes for a great starting point.http://www.sharepointdocgen.info

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply