Sharepoint 2010

• We are using Sharepoint 2007 and SQL Server 2005; with these versions you can see the Sharepoint databases siting in the SQL Server databases folder.

We are researching using SQL Server 2008 r2 and Sharepoint 2010. Now in this version the Sharepoint databases seem to sit in a separate instance called <server name>\sharepoint. This instance does not have any ability to run backup jobs and neither can the instance called <server name> see the sharepoint folder.

Now I have spotted that there is a separate version of SQL Server Agent for each instance. <server name> SQL Server Agent is running; <server name>\sharepoint is not.

Does anyone have any experience with this and could point me in the right direction?

Madame Artois

• Try searching with keyword .mdf

• I've used SP2010 and just set up the databases on our existing SQL 2k8 server we already had in-place...not a separate \sharepoint instance. I try to avoid letting SP (or any app for that matter) internally manage itself, because of situations like you're describing now.

During the install, you should have the option to use an existing SQL instance, or create a new one. I would reinstall onto an existing instance that you already manage, if possible.

• Thanks for that. I will try to remove and reinstall Sharepoint and get back to you.

Madame Artois

• We have taken off Sharepoint 2010 and re-installed it. We have tried it as a standalone installation as well as part of a server farm but at no point do we get asked about SQL Server 2008. As a result it installs as a separate instance within SQL Server 2008 that has no ability to backup any Sharepoint databases.

Is this correct?

Madame Artois

• No...at least not that I've seen.

Last time I installed it, it looked similar to this:

http://andreasglaser.net/post/2009/11/18/Installing-SharePoint-Server-2010-on-Windows-Server-2008-R2-and-SQL-Server-2008-R2-Part-8-SharePoint-Server-2010-installation.aspx

About 1/3rd of the way down the page is the screen where you can enter the database details..I'm not sure what you're doing differently that skips this step.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply