Share Your Mistakes

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Share Your Mistakes

• I remember a time about 50 years ago when I designed a script that deleted a file and then renamed the backup.  It never works the second time.

Rick
    Disaster Recovery = Backup ( Backup ( Your Backup ) )

• Ugh, I think I wrote that script a few times.

• What's it say about us that only two people are willing to admit to making mistakes?

I can think of several mistakes I've made just in the last week.

After month's of delay, moving a new SSIS package to production, then forgetting to have the new tables created.

Worked on writing some SQL for someone, set it up to sum on a field, and even added a Having statement to filter out those that sum to zero.  Then the user decided they wanted to sum on a new column.  And I forgot to change the having statement.

Copied a value from the results of a SQL statement, pasted that value in a new SQL code to filter the data.  Then couldn't figure out why my results were wrong.  Then figured out I copied the wrong value in to filter the data.

That's just a few, I'm sure there are more.   None where major and easily fixed.

-------------------------------------------------------------
    we travel not to escape life but for life not to escape us
    Don't fear failure, fear regret.

• I was hoping for me. Certainly, it's possible some people were busy and didn't take the time. Others might read this days later, so who knows.

I make mistakes regularly. Probably every week. I sometimes misword or mis-check an answer to a  question here on the site. I sent the wrong query to someone last week. SELECT, so not a big deal, but had to apologize. Plenty more for me to choose from.

• Well, here we go again.  Over a few days I spent about three hours attempting to set up a new Chromecast device on a second tv.  Kept getting an error saying no internet availalbe.  I was getting ready to call tech support when I noticed my cell phone couldn't connect to my network either.

Then last evening while trying to connect with the phone, I realized that I had changed the password.

But in the process I did discover that instead of paying the service provider monthly for a second box I can use their cell phone application to cast all the channels to the Chromecast device for a one-time cost of 29 bucks.   Just have to make sure I'm using the internet instead of cellular data.

It is also amazing how many solutions I have come up with while reading novels on my Kindle.

The slogan I proposed for the last group of DBA's I worked with:  "We may not be good, but we're slow".

Rick
    Disaster Recovery = Backup ( Backup ( Your Backup ) )

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply