SFTP Options with SQL 2016 ?

• Does SQL 2016 have any native support for SFTP ?
    Looks like previously 3rd party add-ins were the way only option.

• homebrew01 - Wednesday, May 31, 2017 8:13 AM

Does SQL 2016 have any native support for SFTP ?
    Looks like previously 3rd party add-ins were the way only option.

Currently no. 

3rd party add-ins are the only options at the minute. WinSCP using a task component is normally a suitable solution.

• I would like to have a Scheduled task of some kind to export TXT files to a client site, running every morning.

• homebrew01 - Wednesday, May 31, 2017 9:03 AM

I would like to have a Scheduled task of some kind to export TXT files to a client site, running every morning.

If you want to go down that route the you can use WINSCP with Windows task scheduler.

Personally I would use SSIS so you can monitor errors within your control flows.

• I think I prefer SSIS also. I meant scheduled SQL Job, not Windows task.
    I saw a suggestion of this in a different thread. Just about to go look at it.

http://www.cozyroc.com/ssis/sftp-task

• homebrew01 - Wednesday, May 31, 2017 10:21 AM

I think I prefer SSIS also. I meant scheduled SQL Job, not Windows task.
    I saw a suggestion of this in a different thread. Just about to go look at it.

http://www.cozyroc.com/ssis/sftp-task

We use CozyRoc for sFTP (as well as other things) from their SSIS components package.  It works well and we've never had any issues.

Just a happy customer,
    Rob

• Hi Rob ,is cozyroc a free tool or it is free for certain  number of days.

Thanks

T

• tmmutsetse - Thursday, November 8, 2018 2:51 AM

Hi Rob ,is cozyroc a free tool or it is free for certain  number of days.

Thanks

T

It's not free, but I think you can get a free trial.
    There's another company with similar product, but I can't remember the name. Pricing was about the same, or maybe a bit less.

• Task Factory is another package of SSIS components that includes an SFTP task.  It was originally sold by Pragmatic Works, but is now available from Sentry One.  
    https://www.sentryone.com/products/task-factory/high-performance-ssis-components

No license is required for developers, the free "Trial Version" runs in an IDE indefinitely.  Deploying packages and running them with DTEXEC requires a license.

• tmmutsetse - Thursday, November 8, 2018 2:51 AM

Hi Rob ,is cozyroc a free tool or it is free for certain  number of days.

Thanks

T

As Scott and Homebrew have replied, "No", it's not free, but it has the same type of license as does the (former) Pragmatic Works offering (now Sentry One).  I've had good luck with CozyRoc.  I've heard others speak highly of the Pragmatic Works product as well.

Good luck,
    Rob

• I use Python. Like 3 lines of code to get files from SFTP to drop into a location for SQL Server to snag. Insanely easy.

• Can Python run within SSIS?  I know there was something Python related added in to SQL Server 2017, but since I'm not a Python person, I didn't pay close attention.

Rob

• robert.gerald.taylor - Saturday, November 10, 2018 12:17 PM

Can Python run within SSIS?  I know there was something Python related added in to SQL Server 2017, but since I'm not a Python person, I didn't pay close attention.

Rob

Dono about 2017, but you can execute scripted tasks etc from within SSIS. Python is an external script therefore is treated as such. 2017 may integrate Python, but that's something you'll have to lookup.

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply