Setting up SQL Server login access on a P2P networ

• I am trying to set up a small peer to peer network with all computers accessing the same SQL Server database. I am running SQL Server 2000. Two of the computers are running Win2k and the third is running WinXP Pro. My goal is to have users with limited rights on their local machines have access to the SQL database. By adding a group to the SQL Server database users I was able to grant access to both Win2K machines. The same method results in an "unspecified error" on the XP machine. Anyone have ideas as to how I can set up SQL to allow restricted users on all 3 computers to have read write privelages for the SQL database?

• When you say small peer-to-peer, I assume no domain? If not, are you using SQL Server logins?

K. Brian Kelley

bkelley@sqlservercentral.com

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/bkelley/

K. Brian Kelley
    @kbriankelley

• Yes, there is no domain and we are using Window's authentication. We are developing software and need the security of window's authentication.

• Do you happen to have matching user accounts/passwords on the two Win2K machines/SQL Server?

K. Brian Kelley

K. Brian Kelley
    @kbriankelley

• We have done that but we need to allow different users with different passwords on the various machines. Our customers want to be able to have their employees logon with their own user names and passwords instead of having a universal logon just to use our software. This does not seem to be a problem between the two Win2K machines. We have 2 different logons using the same database at the same time. The only problem comes with the XP machine.

• Right but the catch is the user account/password on the client machine has to match exactly the user account/password on SQL Server in order to use Windows authentication. Under a domain model this wouldn't be necessary if domain accounts are used. What I'm wondering is if Windows 2000 is able to pass through the user account and password and Windows XP is rejecting it. Since I haven't played around with XP, I can't say for sure.

K. Brian Kelley

K. Brian Kelley
    @kbriankelley

• Is SQL Server the only thing you have setup this way? If not then have you tried any of the other connections to see if they are working properly. Also have you made sure you are setup in XP as usergroup and not a domain connection. If not sure then right click on My Computure and select properties. You will find the connection info on the Computer Name tab.

"Don't roll your eyes at me. I will tape them in place." (Teacher on Boston Public)

• Thanks for all the responses guys. After further testing and troubleshooting, we think that the problem is in the software we are using and not an issue with SQL server. Thank you for your help though, it was greatly appreciated.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply