Setting up Service Broker on a Mirrored Database

• Hi All,

I have tried to enable service broker using:

Alter Database MyDatabase

Set Enable_Broker

The error message reports "Cannot create a new Service Broker in a mirrored database". I tried pausing the mirroring and received the same message.

I don't see anything about this in BOL. Does anyone know of a way to enable service broker without dropping the mirroring?

Regards,

Elliott

• What do you get in output when u run:

select name,is_broker_enabled from sys.databases

where name='DatabaseName'

MJ

• Elliott Berkihiser (3/27/2009)

The error message reports "Cannot create a new Service Broker in a mirrored database". I tried pausing the mirroring and received the same message.

You should enable Service broker before the mirroring session has been configured.

SELECT is_broker_enabled FROM sys.databases

WHERE name='your database name'

GO

[/code]

• I think that Service Broker is already on in a Mirrored DB. It probably will not let you make a NEW service broker because that would kill the old one which would mess up the mirror queuing.

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

• Running the query: Select name, is_broker_enabled from sys.databases

yields a 0 for the databases that do not have Server Broker enabled. This is true whether I run the query from the server with the Principal member, or from the serve with the Mirror members (not surprisingly).

So apparently the Alter Database command is not failing because the service is already enabled.

It would be nice to be able to implement the service without breaking the mirroring. But my attempt to Pause the mirroring and then alter the database failed.

• OK, this is straight from Remus Rusanu himself:

You must enable broker before the mirroring session is enabled. You should

first check if the broker is enabled in the first place

(sys.databases.is_broker_enabled). If is not, then you must stop the

mirroring session, enable the broker and re-establsih the mirroring session

from scratch.

HTH,

~ Remus

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply