Setting up Replication on a SQL Managed Instance

• Hello,

I have searched and found some articles on setting up replication in SQL MI between SQL Instances and going to on-premise but is there any article on how to setup just to replicate to a database on the same Managed Instance?

I think the issue I am running into is with the setup\permission of the file share on the Azure storage account.  I am troubleshooting that with our network person.

But my question would be is this the best approach to replicate data to another database on the same SQL Managed Instance.  Can't use database mirroring, log shipping, etc. anymore correct?

• Do you mean replication to/from one Managed Instance?  Why do you need that and not just use cross-database queries?

If you mean between Managed Instances then replication is the only SQL  Server way for keeping two separate servers in sync as mirroring, AG and log shipping are not available.

Depending on how much data there is, how often it is changing etc then Data Factory might be a way of copying data between servers.

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• I am looking to replicate most or all of the tables from Database1 in SQL MI Instance 1 to Database2 in SQL MI Instance 1 (same instance).  We want to push the reporting code onto it's own database.

Thanks,

Daniel

• If you have Business Critical tier you'll have a read-only instance available to you.

On General Purpose, transactional replication is probably the easiest way of getting another copy of all the data in a database.  Guess you already know but check the size of the subscriber database, iops is based on disk size so the bigger the file (even if not used) will give better performance as it will be on a faster disk which may be important for reporting.

• Thank you.  I will check on the Business Critical tier.  Currently trying to resolve to resolve, "2021-11-16 16:15:35.08 Failed to connect to Azure Storage '' with OS error: 53.' with setting up the replication.

• Check that port 445 is open outbound in the NSG, might be that

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply