setting up Clustering - SQL Server 2008 R2

• Perry Whittle (9/10/2012)

See my 3 part guide starting at this link[/url] to deploy and configure the Windows cluster and the clustered SQL server instance. It covers virtual but applies to physical too

See my guide at this link[/url] for details how to slipstream service packs and\or cumulative updates

Thanks for sharing!

• you're welcome 😉

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• one last point for clarification?? :blush:

So (if I have this straight) There is one Quorum and one MSDTS and then multiple Instances would each have their own set of disks for Data, Logs, Tempdb, etc.

here is how I see the steps to install a Default Instance.

1) Setup 'New SQL Server Failover Cluster Installation" on Node 1

2) Go to the second Node (without failing over) and run set 'Add Node to a SQL Server failover

Cluster'

I should now have a fully functioning 2 Node Active Passive Cluster with a Default Instance.

---

For each SQL Server Instance that I want to add, would I repeat steps one AND two?

• Jpotucek (9/12/2012)

one last point for clarification?? :blush:

tut tut tut, any more of this and you'll be incurring fees 😀

Jpotucek (9/12/2012)

So (if I have this straight) There is one Quorum and one MSDTS and then multiple Instances would each have their own set of disks for Data, Logs, Tempdb, etc.

With Windows 2008 you can have more than 1 clustered MSDTC, but essentially yes, you are right

Jpotucek (9/12/2012)

here is how I see the steps to install a Default Instance.

1) Setup 'New SQL Server Failover Cluster Installation" on Node 1

2) Go to the second Node (without failing over) and run set 'Add Node to a SQL Server failover

Cluster'

I should now have a fully functioning 2 Node Active Passive Cluster with a Default Instance.

What do you need me for? 😉

Jpotucek (9/12/2012)

For each SQL Server Instance that I want to add, would I repeat steps one AND two?

yes, that's correct.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• it's just so different from 2005 that the more I read .... I keep second guessing myself

Thank you again for your patient guidance!!!

• Another dumb question. If each SQL Server Instance in the Cluster has it's own set of Cluster Resources: Network Name, IP address and Shared Disk, then that would all need to be setup in the Cluster Administrator at the OS level before you actually install each SQL Server Instance. In other words, when get to the point that you are actually installing SQL Server, All of the shared Resources should already be there and you would just choose them from a list - on the Cluster Disk selection screen during the SQL install????

• Jpotucek (10/4/2012)

Another dumb question.

There are never dumb questions, only ever dumb answers 😉

Jpotucek (10/4/2012)

If each SQL Server Instance in the Cluster has it's own set of Cluster Resources: Network Name, IP address and Shared Disk, then that would all need to be setup in the Cluster Administrator at the OS level before you actually install each SQL Server Instance.

Mm, for the storage certainly but the ip and name are virtual, you specify them at the time of install, the rest is done for you. In fact it's better if they don't exist in DNS and AD from the start 😉

Jpotucek (10/4/2012)

All of the shared Resources should already be there and you would just choose them from a list - on the Cluster Disk selection screen during the SQL install????

As i said, for the storage only, yes.

• Once again.. Thank you!!!!

• you're welcome

• When you say that it's better to not create the AD/DNS accounts before setting up what draw backs specifically are you talking about? I have always setup Clusters creating the computer accounts in AD first.

• davidwarner (10/9/2012)

When you say that it's better to not create the AD/DNS accounts before setting up what draw backs specifically are you talking about? I have always setup Clusters creating the computer accounts in AD first.

It may be related to the AD object ownership and a clean installation.

If the computer or service can generate its own AD object it's better to let it do it on its own, instead of manually create it.

As a matter of fact, if the MS-SQL service has the proper rights, it will create whatever is required during the actual setup.

• I'm not good with AD but an issue i had was that during the install despite the domain service account used for the cluster having the right to create AD objects, something would happen where the objects wouldn't create in time during the install which would mean SQL would install with errors making installing updates fun.

I think the issue was something to do with us having 30+ domain controllers and when the install created the logins it wouldn't replicate fast enough.

• davidwarner (10/9/2012)

I'm not good with AD but an issue i had was that during the install despite the domain service account used for the cluster having the right to create AD objects, something would happen where the objects wouldn't create in time during the install which would mean SQL would install with errors making installing updates fun.

I think the issue was something to do with us having 30+ domain controllers and when the install created the logins it wouldn't replicate fast enough.

Well ... that's AD / Network design issues ... 🙂 ...not a Cluster problem itself.

Of course, if the DC is not close enough or there is not a closer DC, or there are DNS or latency issues, replicating the AD objects will take time. That's why is so important to be sure everything is in place, including a good AD and Network design for the cluster.

• AFternoon , Quick question on a related subject

We are going to migrate our two-node SQL2008 clustered instances from a Windows 2003 environment to a WIndows 2008 environment. Our SQL servers are 2008 R2 SP1

Would it be possible to create new primary sql server node on the new cluster , patch to SP1 and migrate the databases in , and subsequently add a failover node to the new instance and patch that to the same level?

Thanks

• Yes it would. Just make sure to do the Clustered installation of SQL. If you do a non-clustered installation - even on a clustered OS - you'll have to start over.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply