Setting up an alert to catch a failure in a DTS package execution

• Hi.

I am trying to set-up an alert that will fire when a DTS package fails and a error message appears in the Windows Event Log. I have no problem getting the error to appear in the event logm but cannot get the alert to catch it.

I am at my first glance into setting up an alert. Books on-line doesn't help much.

Can anybody help me into this?

thanks!!

• You could use a trigger on sysjobhistory to check for a job failure (if the dts is executed from there). You can then trap the raiserror as an alert.

CREATE trigger trg_stepfailures

on sysjobhistory

for insert

as

declare @strcmd varchar(1000),@strRecipient varchar(500),@strMsg varchar(3000), @subject varchar(100)

if exists (select * from inserted where run_status = 0 and step_name <> '(job outcome)')

begin

select  @strMsg =  @@servername + ' Job ' + sysjobs.name +char(13) + char(13) + 'Step ' +

inserted.step_name +char(13)+char(13)+ 'Message ' + inserted.message

from inserted

join sysjobs

on inserted.job_id = sysjobs.job_id

where inserted.run_status = 0

raiserror (@strMsg, 16, 10) with log

end

GO

Or you could put a trigger on the sysdtssteplog table, which would look for a failed step in a dts package.

CREATE trigger trg_dtsfailures

on sysdtssteplog

for insert

as

declare @strcmd varchar(1000),@strRecipient varchar(500),@strMsg varchar(3000), @subject varchar(100)

if exists (select * from inserted where errorcode != 0)

begin

select  @strMsg =  @@servername + ' DTS ' + d.name +char(13) + char(13) + 'Failed'

from inserted

join sysdtspackagelog d

on inserted.lineagefull = d.lineagefull

where inserted.errorcode != 0

raiserror (@strMsg, 16, 10) with log

end

GO

Shamless self promotion - read my blog http://sirsql.net

• Thanks for the script.

I will try it, but is there a reason I can't trap the message already created in the event log? Is it because it is not present in the SQL error log?

Y

• Can't get the trigger to work. I found in BOL.

Note  Because SQL Server does not support user-defined triggers on system tables, it is recommended that no user-defined triggers be created on system tables.

The sysdtssteplog is a system table. Can we still do the trigger?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply