Setting SQL Server Default Locations

• Hi,

I'm trying to move the database location for and SQL2008 Cluster. I have set the default data and log file location to the new drive with no issue. However I am unable to move the existing database. I'm using the alter database method but they do not mount when I attempt to bring them back online.

I think the problem is with the folder security of my new location. The original location has permissions for MSSQLSERVER. I'm unable to find this to add it to the new location.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Mark

• FYI, I finally got around to creating a connect item for the default data/log directories not be honored until service restart here.

I encourage everyone to read it, and to vote for it.

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• voted. That should be a no-brainer.

• That was Pretty NIce. More Powers

seo fort worth[/url]

• so, if my instance is missing the following registry entries:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.2\MSSQLServer

DefaultData & DefaultLog

and i need to add these two entries on a cluster, do i need to reboot the machine or just restart sql services to take effect?

• Just restart the SQL Services.

If you set the directories from the GUI, then those keys will be built for you.

When writing this article, I didn't consider clustered instances. They may go somewhere else... I'll try to find some time to investigate.

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• This reply has been reported for inappropriate content.

What specific strategies does SEO Services North London employ to ensure businesses in the region achieve prominent search engine rankings, maximize online visibility, and effectively drive targeted traffic to their websites?

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply